Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermometer Temperature Checking Methods (calibration)  (Read 801 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Thermometer Temperature Checking Methods (calibration)
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »

For those of us without a proper test lab there are two ways to check the accuracy of our cooking thermometers.

1/: Boiling Water.   2/: Ice Bath.

* Boiling water has two main drawbacks that change the boiling point of water; atmospheric pressure and elevation.

*Ice bath on the other hand is consistent (if done properly).

Ideally checking at two points makes one feel more confident . That's how Thermapens are tested and calibrated.

For comprehnsive test methods, "Thermoworks" is the place to go. For the boiling point of water; click" software" @ the top. Scroll down to "boiling point calculator". Fill in your zip for elevation and atmospheric pressure, then click calculate - simple. Just take elevation with a grain of salt as it is @ the weather station.. If you have a GPS, its reading will prove more accurate.

Under "service and support @ the top, go to the column on the left, select " super fast Thermapen 101, click "creating a properly made ice bath", or type the words into the search box.

Disclaimer: The only association I have with Thermoworks is customer related.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:39:57 PM by Canadian John »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Thermometer Temperature Checking Methods
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »

I bought one of those ice bath containers from Thermoworks a few years ago when it was on sale.  Great thread as I have found that  often times the probes that come with grills are not accurate.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up