Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • The graph below was run at 225° from 1:17 to 2:15pm , with water in pan and chimney down, big spike is opening door to put aluminum pan in.  From about 2:20 to 3:08 same conditions but chimney off...and from about 3:15 on I set it on smoke and had chimney at "normal" position, about half way up and down.  No explanation for the 4pm spike.  I would swear it went out and re-lite, but I do not believe it has that function. 

It just seems to fluctuate.  It seems to be more on the high then the low side. And this graph was with 3 different chimney settings, so that does not seem to matter.  I don't think it really matters when it comes to cooking, that I have learned over the last 21 years of pellet cooking, but we will get into that in the coming week!

• #17 by Bentley on 01 Apr 2018
  • Set at 200°, 1st hour chimney at 1 finger setting.  Add water, 2nd hour water pan full and chimney screwed down to 0 fingers.  I simply do not understand back left.

• #18 by Bentley on 02 Apr 2018
  • Side hopper window for determining amount of pellets.  Inside of hopper.  Chimney fully chocked, 1 finger and fully open.  Water pan shots, with temperature sensor and heat diffuser.

• #19 by Bentley on 02 Apr 2018
  • Flame tamer slots, flame tamer (only fits in one way), hole for grease, grease container and controller temperature at start up (come on Spring)!

• #20 by Bentley on 02 Apr 2018
  • And the final temperature session will be the way I cook.  I place my food in center of rack, and if I have 5 racks, OK, maybe 4, I have more room then I will ever need for a "normal" family cook.  xxxx, there is enough room for a 75 person cook!  So if you cook like me, this ones for you.

Included is a 20 minute tease graph!

225° for an hour with chimney wide open...then some at Smoke and 150° to determine which is going to be the lowest long term temps for tomorrow jerk and Bologna and belly smoke!

• #21 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Right!  I put the pan on lower level hoping to keep the temps down.  It appears to be working as we start, but as the unit reaches heat equilibrium, I think it will be done, even 5° would help!  Will pull at 155° and put them in the ice bath!  And the Tappecue probes on my older Version one only went as low as 50°, so once above that temperature it will get accurate in the meat!

Pit is set on 150° and I did add some smoke ring pellets.  Sorry Chris, all I got left!

The think I am the most curious about is will that fibrous casting turn that rich mahogany color like the Summer Sausage I always see!

• #22 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • The temperatures have stayed lower for the 1st 90 minutes then I would have thought.  Not sure if that is the empty pan or not.  I do know I am going to freeze an aluminum pan half full of water right now for the belly and jerky cook tomorrow.

• #23 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Never thought of that! 

I started with about 3/4 gal of water in pan, will have to go see if any left.  I think I will also turn to Smoke and see if it goes to about 170°!

IT was 86° at the 2 hour mark!

So unless the temp of the grill gets up to at least 155° how will the meat get to that IT temp?

Just to clarify, you still have the water pan in the grill w/o water in it and then the sheet pan sitting on top of the water pan?

Wonder how much the heat jumps if you remove the sheet pan?

• #24 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Turned unit to 175° setting and pulled pan!  Still a good amount of water in tray!

• #25 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • I am perplexed...I am going to assume there is about 25% fat content in these chubbs.  I have no idea how you get them to 155° IT without hours and hours at a low temperature so you don't melt the fat!  And I am not sure that is not happening already!

We are 4 hours in and only 116° IT!

• #26 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Fun to watch the casing change color!  Got paranoid, took Thermapen out, it is within 1° of Tappecue, so that alleviates that concern!  Took big log out of sarnwrap, will hope it takes on some color!  No idea when theses will be done!  Watch then be so over smoked they cant be eaten!    :pig:

• #27 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Apr 2018
  • Fun to watch the casing change color!  Got paranoid, took Thermapen out, it is within 1° of Tappecue, so that alleviates that concern!  Took big log out of sarnwrap, will hope it takes on some color!  No idea when theses will be done!  Watch then be so over smoked they cant be eaten!    :pig:

That's a really nice color. They look like smoked sausages to me. I thought you were referring more like this. I believe these would have started with those mahogany casing I posted above.

• #28 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • As I said before..I get to stand on the shoulders of others and learn and look good!  Will see how this works, water was 167° when the 1st batch went in and I have timer set for 15 minutes!

• #29 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • The Trail Bologna cook.  To many temp changes, door opens and the like to try and explain it!

• #30 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • I not only ground this, but I then ran it through the food process with the blade, so this was an emulsified product when it went into the casings.  More like real bologna!

I will never put cheese in again, unless I take the time to get the high heat!

If you want the cross section to have those attractive bits of white fat running throughout, my experience has been it will need at least a whole night in the fridge before you show us. It takes a long time for the fat to go back to that semi solid white state.

Pages:
Actions