Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ssteppe on 11 Apr 2018
  • Teriyaki Beef Jerky
    enough marinade for 2-3 lb of meat - eye of round, top round are good, sliced 1/8-1/4 inch thick against the grain

2 cups teriyaki marinade
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked or sweet)
    1 Tablespoon hot sauce, (I use Frank's, but Tabasco or other is fine)
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp red pepper flakes

Combine marinade ingredients. Dip slices of meat in marinade and place into ziplock bag. Pour rest of marinade into bag. Remove as much air as possible and refrigerate 1-2 days. Massage bag and turn over a couple of times a day.

Blot meat dry, but don't rinse. Smoke at 180 F for 2-4 hours (start checking at 2 hours and remove slices as they are done to your liking.)
    Refrigerate or freeze for long storage.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 12 Apr 2018
  •  For sure, I am going to try this. Many thanks!
  • #3 by Canadian John on 25 Apr 2018

•  I tried it and the results were exceptional if I don't say so myself... I can add some info and have a question:

I  went with outside flank as advised by my butcher. He said "it has a bit of a chew to it" - he was right, just a bit. I measured up the Memphis Pro, main grate so it matched the heat shield (294 sq/in),then the top racks; 3 @ 132 sq/in each. The total being 690

sq/in. That is how I ordered my meat. I chose  a 3/16 in. thickness. Ended up to be 7 1/2 LBS... Followed the recipe (above) to the letter....I had 4 pieces of raw meat left over after placing what I could in the pit...Smoked @ 180º.. The first pieces were

removed at 3 hrs and the rest @  4hrs. The remaining 4 raw pieces went on for 3 3/4 hrs... All was refrigerated overnight then cut up into ~ 1 1/4 in. strips. The strips cut into ~ 2 in. pieces. All bagged and refrigerated. Next time I'l go with 6 1/4 lbs. so it all

fits. I prefer the meat not to overlap.

Question: What is the best way to reduce the amount of marinade on the meat after it has been removed from the marinade, so there is less bolting? Thinking some sort of drip rack.

A big thank you to Ssteppe for the recipe.  :D
  • #4 by Conumdrum on 25 Apr 2018
  • Make less marinade.   It will soak into the meat leaving little extra, meat should be wet but not dripping at all.

Just as a side note, try full non-enhanced pork loin.  Much cheaper, trim, freeze a bit and slice against the grain.  Tastes exactly the same.
  • #5 by Ssteppe on 07 May 2018
  • Not sure what "bolting" is, but I blot the excess marinade with paper towels, so it's relatively dry going into the smoker.

I tried it and the results were exceptional if I don't say so myself... I can add some info and have a question:

I  went with outside flank as advised by my butcher. He said "it has a bit of a chew to it" - he was right, just a bit. I measured up the Memphis Pro, main grate so it matched the heat shield (294 sq/in),then the top racks; 3 @ 132 sq/in each. The total being 690

sq/in. That is how I ordered my meat. I chose  a 3/16 in. thickness. Ended up to be 7 1/2 LBS... Followed the recipe (above) to the letter....I had 4 pieces of raw meat left over after placing what I could in the pit...Smoked @ 180º.. The first pieces were

removed at 3 hrs and the rest @  4hrs. The remaining 4 raw pieces went on for 3 3/4 hrs... All was refrigerated overnight then cut up into ~ 1 1/4 in. strips. The strips cut into ~ 2 in. pieces. All bagged and refrigerated. Next time I'l go with 6 1/4 lbs. so it all

fits. I prefer the meat not to overlap.

Question: What is the best way to reduce the amount of marinade on the meat after it has been removed from the marinade, so there is less bolting? Thinking some sort of drip rack.

A big thank you to Ssteppe for the recipe.  :D
  • #6 by Canadian John on 07 May 2018

•  BLOT not bolt. My mistake.
  • #7 by julweidn on 24 Jul 2018
  • How long will beef jerky stay fresh if not refrigerated and refrigerated? Does it go “bad” or just get really hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Jul 2018
  • How long will beef jerky stay fresh if not refrigerated and refrigerated? Does it go “bad” or just get really hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't use a cure and leave fat on the jerky, from a few days up to a week if not refrigerated.  You will see the fuzz growing on it.  If you refrigerate, probably one to two weeks.  If you freeze, months.  Times are probably 2x-3x longer with a cure and little if any fat.
  • #9 by pmillen on 29 Jul 2018
  • Morton's Tender Quick calls for a tblsp per pound of meat.  Would that be proper for any jerky recipe?
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2018
  • Morton's Tender Quick calls for a tblsp per pound of meat.  Would that be proper for any jerky recipe?

I use 1/4 tsp of the pink prague powder #1 curing salt for a pound of meat.
Pages:
Actions