Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maverick HD8 or HD32 experience?  (Read 1413 times)

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Maverick HD8 or HD32 experience?
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

I saw both of these on what seems like a pretty good sale at our local Home Depot yesterday.  I am sort of assuming that they are Home Depot specific models based on the model number and the fact that I can't find much when I Google them other than links to the Home Depot website.  I also thought that they might just be re-badged versions of something like the ET-8 but they seem to be different models.

Reason I am asking is that with them being on a good sale, and if they are reasonably good, I am thinking about picking a few up to give as gifts.  Any experience with them?  I know that Maverick is generally thought of as a pretty good brand.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Maverick HD8 or HD32 experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »

I moved on from Maverick to Thermoworks Smoke.  More expensive, but no issues synching nor with probes.  The feel of the unit is much better too.

If these gifts are for people just getting into smoking, Maverick is probably a decent starter unit depending on the price you may be buying at.  I know some others have found brands on Amazon that were 50% of the Maverick costs and performed as well.

Smoke is probably 30% + more than the Maverick but worth every penny to me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ScottWood

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »

I moved on from Maverick to Thermoworks Smoke.  More expensive, but no issues synching nor with probes.  The feel of the unit is much better too.

If these gifts are for people just getting into smoking, Maverick is probably a decent starter unit depending on the price you may be buying at.  I know some others have found brands on Amazon that were 50% of the Maverick costs and performed as well.

Smoke is probably 30% + more than the Maverick but worth every penny to me.

Good to know.  I use a Fireboard which I absolutely love but beyond what I want to spend for gifts.  These would be for friends, and even some family, who aren't currently using any sort of probe thermometer. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »

Just a thought: Thermoworks has their ThermoPops on sale fairly often. These have an excellent track record for dependability, accuracy and speed.  They have super customer service to boot..If you go to their site and sign up you'll be advised of all specials, receive cooking info and have a chance at winning a Thermopen.. :2cents:

ScottWood

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »

Just a thought: Thermoworks has their ThermoPops on sale fairly often. These have an excellent track record for dependability, accuracy and speed.  They have super customer service to boot..If you go to their site and sign up you'll be advised of all specials, receive cooking info and have a chance at winning a Thermopen.. :2cents:

I've been a customer of their for years but only have their instant read, to include the ThermoPops, and have given those as gifts.  I am looking more for something that is a leave in probe for the whole cook.  Honestly, I rarely use my Fireboard for the meat but more for monitoring pit temps, thus why I don't have a lot of recent experience.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »

The "DOT" might be what you are after. As well they come on sale.  :2cents:
Pages: [1]   Go Up