Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by texasbrew on 18 May 2018
  • This recipe is for s simple sandwich created with chuck roast.

Ingredient list
    1.  3 to 3.5 lb chuck roast
    2.  3 packages of Italian dressing mix
    3.  1/2 can of a blond ale or lager
    4.  provolone cheese
    5.  sub rolls
    6.  hot peppers (we can't find decent giardiniera so I just picked up a jar of the Potbelly sandwich peppers)

Heat cooker to 250 deg F.
    In a 1/2 size steam table pan add the chuck roast, beer, and 3 pkgs of Italian dressing mix. 
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

Place roast in preheated cooker and cook uncovered for 2 hours.  After 2 hours cover the pan with foil and cook an additional 4 hours (or until the roast is fork tender/can be shredded by fork).  At that point remove from the cooker.

Toast the sub rolls.  Add cheese to the sub rolls and cover the cheese with the shredded roast and peppers.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 May 2018
  • IF you want it a little smokier, cook it on a grate until it hits 160° then put in the pan with the other stuff.  Cover and crank grill up to 350°.
  • #3 by Mudflap on 18 May 2018
  • Looks good

Bentley has a great Giardineria recipe. I have made it twice.  :cool:

Mudflap
  • #4 by Bentley on 18 May 2018
  • If Bentley took credit for it he is a Dog!  Allrecipes has a tasty one though don't they! I think that was it, would any of you with high security clearance (mine was revoked) do a search on Pelletheads and see if it is still there!  Please!

A little labor intensive and time consuming, but not hard to make if you ever want to up the game!  This was the very beginning of some back in 2011 I think!

6.  hot peppers (we can't find decent giardiniera so I just picked up a jar of the Potbelly sandwich peppers)

• #5 by texasbrew on 18 May 2018
  • Is this it Bentley?

I don't have an original thought in my head...this allrecipes.com one has worked well for me.  Only thing I change from the picture of the one I did in the bowl above, I dice the ingredients finer, and I use 3 celery, carrot & onion and use 1 cup salt!  I also pickle for 24 hours & I don't rinse the mix after the pickling...but I am a salt fiend!

Ingredients:

2 green bell peppers, diced
    2 red bell peppers, diced
    8 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
    3 celery stalk, diced
    3 medium carrot, diced
    3 small onion, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh cauliflower florets
    1 cup salt

water to cover

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (5 ounce) jar pimento-stuffed green
    olives, chopped
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup olive oil

Directions:

1. Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover (just enough to cover, almost like a bog). Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight. (24 hours)
    2. The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
  • #6 by Bentley on 18 May 2018
  • I know I have used the Allrecipes, just not sure if that is the one Mudflap is referring to and if the one he is referring to was on Pelletheads?...But the one above is one fine recipe.  I like to cook the beef with/in this stuff to!
  • #7 by Mudflap on 18 May 2018
  • That's it. :clap:
    I would highly recommend this on that great looking sandwich you made.

Mudflap

Modified with photos (took for ever to get out of Photo bucket)

• #8 by Bentley on 18 May 2018
  • I always thought my pieces were way to big, but mine are close to yours so I feel better!

What I don't get is...the few times I have had "store or restaurant" stuff it seems softer, which I like and not as fresh and crunchy as mine is.  How is the texture of yours when finished with the olives and oil?
  • #9 by Mudflap on 18 May 2018
  • I always thought my pieces were way to big, but mine are close to yours so I feel better!

What I don't get is...the few times I have had "store or restaurant" stuff it seems softer, which I like and not as fresh and crunchy as mine is.  How is the texture of yours when finished with the olives and oil?

Never had store bought. I would say it was some what crunchy at first but over time it soften some but not mushy soft.

Mudflap
  • #10 by urnmor on 19 May 2018
  • That certainly looks good :cool:
  • #11 by texasbrew on 21 May 2018
  • So can you store the extra homemade in canning jars for a month or so?
  • #12 by Mudflap on 21 May 2018
  • So can you store the extra homemade in canning jars for a month or so?

Mine got ate to fast. I don't know much about canning but they do have several recipes you can search that talk about proper canning methods for Giardineria.

daringgourmet.com/homemade-giardiniera/

Mudflap
  • #13 by pz on 21 May 2018
  • That looks really good!
  • #14 by Bentley on 21 May 2018
  • It is basically pickled then olive oil added to it, so it is going to have a pretty long fridge life.  Mine lasted in the fridge weeks, I am sure it can be canned, although I though that required heating, so it may change the texture.  But for me, softer is better then crunchy for a sandwich like an Italian Beef!

I lika da juice...

So can you store the extra homemade in canning jars for a month or so?
  • #15 by Th3Batman86 on 21 May 2018
  • Brad from Bon Appetite has a great video on Youtube with details on how to make a giardineria if anyone is interested. I always love his videos.
Pages:
Actions