Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences  (Read 12546 times)

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »

The stainless is tarnishing around the lid hinges, but not bad.  Easy to clean right now being new.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »

I did the ice water test on the two probes compared to my thermapen.  One read 35 and the other 35 initially and then settled and stayed on 37.  The thermapen was bouncing between 32.0 and 32.1.  When cooking some large chicken breast later at 375, the probes were reading 10 degrees less than the thermapen.  I set the app alarms to 175 to offset the difference.  The chicken turned very juicy and tasty, and had no leftover taste the next day like oven cooked chicken does to us.  No smoke flavor at all though, but do have a smoke tube on the way.  I will try low and slow on a wild hog loin tomorrow.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »

I noticed the floppy auger motor when I had my Traeger.  Advised that it was intentional in case a large pellet got caught between the auger blade and the tube edge as it entered the tube from the hopper.  This would allow the auger to move enough to let the pellet pass through. Auger blade was square and the edge would catch and hold a pellet up against the tube entry orifice.  Every now and then I would hear this event as a "crunch".  I never had it jam.
On the Blaz'n GS, the auger is made with a round tubular steel blade, exactly to help avoid jamming, but I still think the motor can move enough to prevent pellet jams. Rounded blade causes less friction at the entry and I rarely hear any crunches.

I wonder if the pellet heaters, that preceded our cookers deliver their pellets with an auger assembly like the smokers? If so I'll bet this is a problem that was solved by them before smokers even appeared.  Anyone know the history of the floating motor? ???

grilltreats

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »

OK, that could very well explain the noise my wife and I heard on our last cook.  She asked "what was that noise" and I couldn't quite explain the noise myself but knew it came from the grill/smoker, but one crunching pellet in a hollow drum is the best description of we heard. Thanks!
Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »

I am contemplating some of these DIY mods in combination or separately that I see talked about.  Any experiences with any on this list below or do you have some to add that are beneficial?  Do any of these help or hurt or are just wishful thinking?

• Lining the bottom of the hopper with foil for faster heat up times or for more heat retention.
  • Putting Fireblack gasket around lid to fill gaps for more heat retention and smoke flavor along with preventing heat/smoke stains on outer stainless.
  • Installing a $5 3" 90 degree metal duct on smoke exhaust port for a downdraft effect.  This is for creating a more even heat across the grates and causing the grates temp to better match the set point temp.  Or, purchasing Don's downdraft kit for the same effect ~$100.
  • Smoke tube for when setting grill temps above smoke production temps.
  • Putting rubber stops on lid stops to protect the lid paint or using some of the Fireblack strips to offer some protection.
Some additional thoughts:

I have tested some metal angled corner strips for raising the grates up so I can put an aluminum pan under the grates for certain cooks much easier.  I have some that fit vertically, but will get some longer pieces to go across the entire grill.  They will be supported by the surrounding lip on each end.

I have been using foil on the drip tray and just hosing it off after a few cooks instead of replacing the foil.  That's been working out so far and seems to be the easiest and quickest method.  The grease and drippings don't run off of the foil as well as without the foil, but I want to maintain a cleaner grill and burn than the charcoal one I have.

By accident, when playing with the test features, I ran the augur motor for a couple of brief pluses.  The next time I did a cook, I set the temp to 375.  It only took 7 minutes to reach 375.  The ambient temp was in the low 90's.  If you use caution, this may be a trick to get your smoker up to temp a little faster when in a hurry.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »

No mods done yet.  I did do a couple of ribs at 250 and the smoke production was impressive the whole cook.  Ribs turned out moist and very tasty.  I was using the RT pellet mix of oak and hickory.  The smoke flavor was definitely present, but not bitter like on the KJ.  Once I get some 100% hickory pellet I feel confident the flavor will continue to increase.  The RT maintained the temp extremely consistent throughout the 5 hour cook. I am very impressed with the Bull.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »

Hi 'treats.  I have the 680 for a couple of years now, and have not made any mods to mine.  I have been more than satisfied with the performance right out of the box.  Keep us posted on when you make your mods, will be interested to hear and see the results.

Ralphie

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »

I hear you.  My new Stampede is similar.  I was borderline shocked at how dead-on the grill temp was, and I used a few oven thermometers to verify it.  Same feeling about the smoke output.  I was somewhat nervous by the way many describe pellet smoke but I wouldn't hesitate to describe this unit as a smoking machine. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

grilltreats

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »

I believe I made a mistake by putting a thin layer of vegetable oil on the outside stainless the first day I received it.  I was out this morning scrubbing it all off.  The SS started getting a yellowish tint on the outside and also I have a couple of smoke leaks and those points were really amplified with yellowing tint.  It sure did look pretty at first.  Live and learn.  I did put car wax (Liquid Glass) on the outside of the lid and that has worked out well with no ill affects.  I can now fix my hair while grilling lol.

I have the 700 back looking new and shiny again on the outside.  Not messing with the inside except for the probe and lid.  My plan is to put Fireblack heat tape on the inside lid to reduce the staining and force the smoke out of the smoke pipe and drain hole.  I have enough cooks in now to justify a mod experiment and should be receiving the tape today so I am getting it ready for that...

Yes, the temp doesn't budge enough to speak about unless you open the lid.  Even then if you're reasonably quick it's just ~ 5 degrees and then right back to the set point quick.  Love it after babysitting a KJ which I thought did a pretty good job holding temps.

Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »

OK, first mods in.  I put the Fireblack gasket around the chamber lid and hopper lid, also on the door stops.  I set the control for extreme smoke for a test and am very happy with the results.  I do still have two small smoke leaks.  One from the light grommet and just a sliver from the Bull emblem.  This tells me I am sealed up tight around the lid now and hopefully will provide more benefits than that with heat up times, less pellet use and more smoke flavor.

Here is a pic of the test run with the new gasket:

Bullseye since 4/6/19

Ralphie

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »

Very nice seal.  Is that the same peel and stick gasket that people use on kamados?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

grilltreats

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »

Very nice seal.  Is that the same peel and stick gasket that people use on kamados?

Thanks!  No I wish.  Here is a link of what I used if allowed:  Fireblack gasket

The lid closes silently now and I feel much better about the hopper seal too.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:01:42 PM by grilltreats »
Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 11:55:14 PM »

Smoked my first 6.6lb brisket flat on the RT.  It turned out fork tender and tasty.  No knife needed.  It took 11.5 hours at 225 to reach 203 and was wrapped at 160.  The RT smoked all day and the brisket had a very nice smoke ring and flavor.

I found the RT pit probe to be 7 degrees off from my CyberQ pit probe and one food probe matched while the other was off by 4 degrees  Compared them after a good 4 hours without the lid opened.  I have a new controller board that has already shipped out to me that I will be installing so I can calibrate the probes to exactly match my Thermapen.

I am really liking the Fireblack mod and temps are holding spot on with very little deviation at all.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »

Mighty nice looking pit there!  It's nice to follow your experiences ...A win/win for sure.

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »

Looks great. Glad it's working well for you. I'm having a hard time seeing how you're up nine flights of stairs, though.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up