Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maverick Acting Up  (Read 788 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Maverick Acting Up
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »

Hey not sure there is anything I can do at this point.  I have a brisket flat on the pit cruising along at 225 in the pit.  Put the brisket on at about 715 this morning.  The reading on the Maverick has been plugging along.  About 30 minutes ago, the meat probe was reading 147 so thought things were going along ok, although started to wonder why only 147 after almost 7 hours.  This was going to be my first attempt at a brisket where I was not going to foil as a "crutch".  All of a sudden I look at my Maverick and it is reading a meat temp of 339 degrees.  Since the pit is set at 225 thought pretty hard for the meat to be 329, and it was weird it shot from 147 to 329 in a matter of moments.  I changed the batteries, moved the probe in the meat, and still I have bizarre readings, goes from mid 300s to now showing 277.  Wait now it shows 271, keeps going up and down.  I am thinking I have a bad probe?  I do have a Maverick Pro Temp, and when I probed it shows 154.  I decided to cut my losses and I did foil the brisket.  Hopefully it will still come out ok.
Other than a faulty probe, and a novice user, any other thoughts on what would cause these drastic swings, and readings that are much higher than the pit temp?

Thanks.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Maverick Acting Up
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »

probably a bad probe...Mavericks have been well know for that which is why I switched to Thermoworks.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

Thanks BBL.  I think I will be doing the same after this cook.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »

Re probe: If you have an ohmmeter, check and record the resistance of the new probe noting the probes temperature for future use.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »

Thanks CJ.  I do not have an ohmmeter as part of my tool kit right now.  I will probably go ahead an get another probe, or as BBL mentioned move to another brand.  The Maverick is only about 2 years old. 
Without the probe, I did wind up over cooking the brisket just a bit as it was just a bit dry after the rest period.  It did have some moisture, the picture makes it look even drier than it really was.   Funny thing, no one complained and all but two slices were gone by the end of the night.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »

All is well that ends well! Looks good to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up