Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Char Siu - Chinese BBQ Pork  (Read 5735 times)

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Char Siu - Chinese BBQ Pork
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

Char Siu is the roasted Chinese pork we all know that is red on the outside (Cantonese, I believe). It’s found in pork fried rice and often a similar preparation is made for Chinese spare ribs.

With inspiration from my Chinese-American friend from Dallas (a helluva pit master), along with a little research, I took a stab at Char Siu.
This dish will have a recurring presence in my repertoire. It’s fantastic.

I cut a corner and used the sauce from the jar I found at my local Asian grocery store. It’s delicious although there are numerous recipes online to make the sauce from scratch. A very simple list of ingredients.
Also, typical meat used are boneless cuts of pork butt or pork tenderloin. I used boneless country style ribs because I had them in my freezer already.

I used this sauce:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The key is to marinate the meat overnight. Mine marinated for close to 24 hours.

Looked like this when they hit the grill:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Though typically roasted or grilled at approximately 375 degrees for 45 minutes, I smoked mine at 225 for 45 minutes and then 375 degrees for another 30-40 minutes. I brushed with sauce twice during the higher temp phase.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Traditional preparation are slices roughly pencil width. Flavor is intense so thin slices are ideal for a good crust to meat ratio per bite.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

And leftovers are phenomenal!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Ralphie

Re: Char Siu - Chinese BBQ Pork
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »

I haven’t tried spare ribs but from memory, I’d say the flavor profile is very similar if not the same. From my research and talking to my buddy, they all say that marinating is vital to the recipe.
For this dish, you’ll notice that most recipes say to roast or grill at 375 for 45 minutes either in the oven or over charcoal.
Using boneless pork butt or country style ribs yields a tender and juicy bite that falls somewhere between tenderloin and pork chop in tenderness. And it’s a fairly short cooking time.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

Thank you.  Char Sue is one of my favorite flavors with pork...

Also, typical meat used are boneless cuts of pork butt = boneless country style ribs...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:21:49 PM »

I have some of the dry mix packs, I may have to grab a few pork tenderloins next trip to gordons and give it a try. I have been sous vide cooking the tenderloins, I may marinade in a bag and then cook them in the marinade and then toss on the grill to finish. Thanks for the post.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »

Thanks for sharing Ralphie.  I can see referring back to this thread in my near future as a guide to a future cook.  Those country ribs look awesome!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »

Missed the Pork Fried Rice...that is the $15 kind!

bregent

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »

Glad you liked the stuff in the jar. I tried it and thought it tasted nothing like the real stuff and did not care for it at all. I threw the jar out and went back to making my own. I've used several recipes, but this is the one I usually make:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRiJsTjJWbo&t=8s

Ralphie

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »

I have no doubt the scratch sauce is better and suggested looking for one online.  Particularly a recipe including fermented bean curd (tofu), hoisin, and rose wine.  Great stuff and I admittedly took a shortcut with the jar.  But I really liked it.  However, I planned on using a scratch made Char Siu sauce to experiment with a rack of ribs. 

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »

I am definitely making that one of these days!  What IT do you cook to?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

Ralphie

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 11:31:58 PM »

Good question. I didn’t check it. Just kinda knew it was done based on time cooked compared to the recipes I studied.  Also, each piece of meat was only about 1 inch thick in diameter so I knew it wouldn’t take long.

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »

I made Char Siu for the first time just a few weeks ago. It was based on a recipe Susie at Hey Grille Hey linked on her website/FB page. It used about 3 pounds of boneless shoulder. Made the sauce from scratch - it wasn't that much of a challenge or time sink. The whole thing turned out great (which is handy since we'd invited guests for that dinner). We'll definitely be doing it again.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »

The youtube above surprised me at the color.  I guess I want that 1955 Peking Duck looking color.  The kind of color that looks so artificial that you know down the road they will say it is bad for you!  I always remember it from the pork we would get from the Chinese's restaurants in Fresno in the 60's.  Looked like red florescent ham.

Funny, I tried to find some pictures of what I was talking about and can't find a one (I guess you need to be over 55 to know what I am talking about), and maybe all that stuff did have Red Dye #5 in it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:36:13 PM by Bentley »

bregent

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »

The youtube above surprised me at the color.  I guess I want that 1955 Peking Duck looking color.  The kind of color that looks so artificial that you know down the road they will say it is bad for you!  I always remember it from the pork we would get from the Chinese's restaurants in Fresno in the 60's.  Looked like red florescent ham.

Funny, I tried to find some pictures of what I was talking about and can't find a one (I guess you need to be over 55 to know what I am talking about), and maybe all that stuff did have Red Dye #5 in it!

Yup. You need to add red dye if you want that bright red kind of color. A lot of folks use red bean curd, which adds a more subtle red to it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »

try beet juice
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up