Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 18 Oct 2018
  • Decided to see if there is a low slow (brisket style) way of smoking a TriTip.  Found  recipe on one of the Traeger blogs.
    1: marinate, 6 hrs or over night
    2: light application of rub
    3: Smoke on Traeger @ 225 for 4 hrs,
    4: Foil with 1/2 cup water (why not beef broth?) and place back in smoker at 275 for 45 minutes. 
    5:  Let it set for 20 minutes or so.
    Another recipe called for using meat probe and pulling at 135-or at desired temp for doneness.  Personally I want to finish it like a brisket, so it will be higher internal temp. Hard part is to keep from drying it out since it has less fat than a brisket.  Will do the experiment at the end of this month.  I already have a 3+ lb TriTip in a vacuum pack with marinade from Morton. So will try this one first.  Going light on the rub since it is already marinated. Probably should rinse it before applying the rub.  Or should I just use brown sugar so I don't over season.  ????
  • #2 by Soldier17 on 18 Oct 2018
  • I can't wait to hear about the results. I do mine at 225 for 3 hours. I then wrap in foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This results in a Medium tri-tip. I will have to try the water/broth trick next time.
  • #3 by okie smokie on 18 Oct 2018
  • I can't wait to hear about the results. I do mine at 225 for 3 hours. I then wrap in foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This results in a Medium tri-tip. I will have to try the water/broth trick next time.
    Suggest you wait till I try it and report.  My concern is that there are two possible extremes that could occur:
    1. A hard hockey puck.
    2. Or a rubbery wad of cooked to quick sirloin.   
    My problem is that I don't like Tri Tip medium rare as most people do it.  Don't like the texture or taste of rare meat in general.  My favorites are good brisket, or really lean and tender roast beef with brown gravy. Steaks I like medium but that is the only cut that I prefer that way.  I savor more the Mailard effect on the surface, than the medium center. Not a big fan of prime rib for the same reasons.  We shall see.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Oct 2018
  • I did something similar here but finished with sous vide.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2271.0
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 19 Oct 2018

I do mine the same way and we love how it turns out.  I use a water pan while cooking just for fun.  Not sure if it helps, but I figure it doesn't hurt.
  • #6 by okie smokie on 30 Oct 2018
  • Decided to not add anything since it was well seasoned and had good moisture in the Morton vacuum package. Smoked at 225* for 4 hours and basted with apple juice every hour.  At 4 hrs it was 150* so into foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice. Back on the grill at 275 for another hour (hour 5) and will temp test and probe for doneness. 195 and butter soft will do. Then out to rest in warm oven for another hour.  Just flying by seat of my pants.  Will take pics of the final product. :bbq:
  • #7 by bregent on 30 Oct 2018
  • I've done tri-tip brisket style once. It turned out very good but probably wouldn't do again unless I can find it cheap. Around here, it's always more expensive and doesn't have as much fat or connective tissue as brisket so IMO it's just not as good.

I'll stick with medium rare for TT.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 30 Oct 2018
  • Here 'tis.  4 hrs smoking and basted at 225, then foiled with added apple juice 1.5 hrs at 275.  Off the smoker and left foil on and stored it 1 hr in warmer.  Poured off the 4 to 5 ounces of rendered fat and tried to save the small amount of juices. 
    Result:  A true mini brisket, nice smoke ring, meat held together but pulled apart easily.  Completely tender, with no residual connective tissue.  The preseasoning was perfect.  However, could have a little more internal moisture.  But it was great served with corn on the cob, salad and canned peaches. 
    Next time will add low salt beef broth when I foil it and should have it right on.  Gonna go buy more packages to freeze.

Can't wait for the sammies to follow. 
  • #9 by bregent on 30 Oct 2018
  • Looks great. Just curious, how much to you pay for brisket around there?
  • #10 by okie smokie on 31 Oct 2018
  • Costco was 3.49 last time I checked for a packer.  Not bad but lots of waste, and for us, too much to cook just for 2.  The Tri Tip was $5.59 lb and no waste at all.  Will do brisket when we have family coming (total of 11). 
  • #11 by Mudflap on 31 Oct 2018
  • Hay if it works for ya continue with the Tri Tip or you could go with brisket and cut into size you want and vacuum seal rest for later cooks.

Mudflap
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Oct 2018
  • Hay if it works for ya continue with the Tri Tip or you could go with brisket and cut into size you want and vacuum seal rest for later cooks.

Mudflap

I do that on almost all cooks as there are only 2 of us.  I then eat it as leftovers and usually don't have to go outside to cook in the winter.
  • #13 by MSOLSON on 31 Oct 2018
  • Good job on the Tri-tip. When I slow cook tri-tip, I do it just like you did with rub and apple juice! I've also cooked it like flank steak until temp is around 145 (a little pink), then sliced thin and across the grain. I have also injected the meat with teriyaki marinade and let it marinade for several hours. All good. My favorite meat!

• #14 by okie smokie on 31 Oct 2018
  • Good job on the Tri-tip. When I slow cook tri-tip, I do it just like you did with rub and apple juice! I've also cooked it like flank steak until temp is around 145 (a little pink), then sliced thin and across the grain. I have also injected the meat with teriyaki marinade and let it marinade for several hours. All good. My favorite meat!

Was not my favorite meat before.  Now I am very pleased.  Will try some of the variations you have tried.
    Thanks for the input.
Pages:
Actions