Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Oct 2018
  • Love em...I make a big batch and then freeze them to eat all winter.  Here is my recipe from my Dad.  I may put some pepper flakes in some of them next time.

5lbs hamburger
    5lbs sausage
    2-3 bell peppers diced fine
    2-3 onions diced fine
    6 eggs
    8-12 oz bread crumbs
    4-5 tbsps granulated garlic
    3-5 tbsps black pepper
    cup worcestershire sauce

use 1 cup per patty and sprinkle with smoked paprika
    bake @ 350 degrees
  • #2 by pmillen on 26 Oct 2018
  • I love Salisbury Steak!  It’ll probably be better with a little smoke flavor.

No one in my family cooked it.  The only time I ate it was in school; elementary, high and college. 

It appeared to be baked in gravy.  I’ll look at Internet recipes for gravy details and oven (pit) time and temp.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Oct 2018
  • I think it was about an hour on my MAK at 350°.  I think I am going to cook them to about medium next time as I usually defrost and reheat in microwave.  The smoked paprika is a nice tough in addition to the smoke from the pellet grill.  Go light on the paprika.  It was a little too heavy smoke flavor for me when I made them about this time last year.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 26 Oct 2018
  • I remember them also being made in a brown gravy. there were not peppers or onions in them either. I may give this a try, if the GF likes them they will be quick meals after work.
  • #5 by ylr on 26 Oct 2018
  • I used to eat the Banquet version , until I read the ingredient list.....   
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Oct 2018
  • I put too much paprika on these and over cooked them but this is how they are shaped so you get the idea.

• #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2019
  • Didn't get around to making these this Fall.  Kinda kicking myself about now when they would be nice to have in the cold weather.
  • #8 by Bentley on 02 Feb 2019
  • I had half a left over meatloaf that I slice on the #7 setting of the Chef Choice.  Put it in a packaged McCormick brown gravy that Kristin made, simmered it for about 25 minutes.  It was better then any Salisbury recipe I have ever made, it was quite interesting!  Did not taste like meatloaf if that makes any sense?
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2019
  • I had half a left over meatloaf that I slice on the #7 setting of the Chef Choice.  Put it in a packaged McCormick brown gravy that Kristin made, simmered it for about 25 minutes.  It was better then any Salisbury recipe I have ever made, it was quite interesting!  Did not taste like meatloaf if that makes any sense?

amazing what some gravy does to some meats
  • #10 by Darwin on 02 Feb 2019
  • Y'all bringing back old memories!  Slow simmered hamburger steaks in brown gravy with lots of onions and a side of mashed potatoes and green beans!  Yum.     :lick:
  • #11 by pmillen on 02 Feb 2019
  • Y'all bringing back old memories!  Slow simmered hamburger steaks in brown gravy with lots of onions and a side of mashed potatoes and green beans!  Yum.     :lick:

Yes!  Exactly as I recall school cafeteria salisbury steak.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2019
  • Gosh, I sure hope we all could make something better than what we ate in the high school cafeteria.
  • #13 by pmillen on 02 Feb 2019
  • Gosh, I sure hope we all could make something better than what we ate in the high school cafeteria.

Salisbury steak and the codfish were two really good cafeteria meals.
Pages:
Actions