Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermoworks 4 Probe Device - Signals - Bluetooth and Wifi  (Read 4807 times)

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
Re: Thermoworks 4 Probe Device - Signals - Bluetooth and Wifi
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

I received mine yesterday - pretty quick for the ye ol' postal service.  I have not used it yet for cooking, but a few observations.  This is not meant to be a PR, just some initial impressions.

1.  Setup for Wifi through the IoS app on my iPad was a very easy, at least registering it via Bluetooth at first, then connecting it to my home wifi network, then naming it.  the probe setup location is a bit confusing as you would expect it to be under Devices, but it is on the Home screen.  Very touchscreen friendly to navigate.  At first I couldn't find the probe setup thinking it should be under Devices, so I set each port manually via the pushbuttons - also very easy.
2.  The cable lengths of the pro series probes (ambient and food) are 47" - I find that very limiting, so ordered the Pro series cable extenders which adds 3 more feet or so.  I have the same issue with the MAK's food probes as they are relatively short (4 feet).  So if you place food on the upper grate away from the controller, the cables are stretched fairly tight. I wish all cables came as 6' as a "standard". The Fireboard comes with 6' cables on their probes and it makes it easy to route around food and upper and lower grates.
3.  The Alarms can be very loud.  Thankfully, Thermoworks provides a simple button to reduce the volume.  However, there does not seem to be an SMS (text) or email alert capability.  I may have missed that.
4.  The large zippered storage case is great.  Everything fits comfortably in it, with little net pouches to organize the probes, power cord and plug and the Signals box itself.

Hopefully I'll get a crack at using it for a cook this weekend.  I'll leave the PR to BBL as he offered to do that.
I would be very interested in your opinion between this and the Fireboard after you’ve had a little time to use it. I am pretty decided on the FB because I have a Kamado as well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »

I am going to put my review on hold for a few weeks in case there is a raffle for this item on PF with Bentley performing a review.  If that does not materialize, I will work with Bentley on the timing of me doing a review.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »

Great Info. Raffle would be great...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »

great info sschorr....i don't have other branded equipment for a comparison

i am a big fan of thermoworks because i think they will be around for a longer time than other brands.  i will save that for another discussion.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »

Unless the raffle is something the Members can't live without...I think YOU should do the Product Review.  Kristin says she has to much on her with Dozier between now and Christmas, and quite frankly, you will do a better job on the review then I can!

If you are so inclined, do it at your leisure!

I am going to put my review on hold for a few weeks in case there is a raffle for this item on PF with Bentley performing a review.  If that does not materialize, I will work with Bentley on the timing of me doing a review.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »

Unless the raffle is something the Members can't live without...I think YOU should do the Product Review.  Kristin says she has to much on her with Dozier between now and Christmas, and quite frankly, you will do a better job on the review then I can!

If you are so inclined, do it at your leisure!

+1. There can always be more reviews later as the product becomes more established.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:04:07 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »

Members need to know there can also be more then one review done of any product by a Member.  I would think Members would love the multiple data!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »

I received mine yesterday - pretty quick for the ye ol' postal service.  I have not used it yet for cooking, but a few observations.  This is not meant to be a PR, just some initial impressions.

<comments deleted>

4.  The large zippered storage case is great.  Everything fits comfortably in it, with little net pouches to organize the probes, power cord and plug and the Signals box itself.

Would you mind posting a picture with everything placed in the zippered storage case?  I find the Signals box itself to be a very tight fit where I'm trying to put it anyway ;)  Just wondering if I'm overlooking something obvious.
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »

Thanks for the pic.  Thermoworks sent me a pic showing the Signals stored in the pocket underneath where you have it sitting on top.  That's where I was putting it too, although I felt this pocket was really too tight for the unit, and it was not very easy to insert.  They store  the probes in the left side pockets, the charger under where the Signals unit is sitting, and they have a Thermopen stored in the bottom right.  I'll never have my Thermopen in a case as it gets used way too often to be bothered with opening a case; rather it sits easily accessible in a drawer.
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up