Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Dec 2018
  • No Amoroso rolls, so will have to use white bread again!

LMK when you want to come up this way to buy some.  I will buy the first half dozen for you.
  • #32 by Bentley on 06 Dec 2018
  • To hard to cut thin enough for cheese steak, did steak burritos.  I think if I can get the meat thin enough, it will be a good test of using metal on it for cheese steaks!  Will try and knock that out this weekend when I get some rolls baked.
  • #33 by cookinpellets junior on 07 Dec 2018
  • Is the coating smooth or texture? The flip was impressive, I can’t do one so I quit trying. I agree with you on the cooking with butter, it just adds so much to the flavor.
    where is the video of the flip?

• #34 by Bentley on 07 Dec 2018
  • It is in the video in reply #3.
  • #35 by Bentley on 08 Dec 2018
  • I am not a crust on a hamburger guy, so I could care less.  I will do one more in my Binford 4000 aluminum saute pan for comparison, and then we will do the scallops next week in the Graniterock.

I was hoping to have a wow blend of GB, but I realized it has no flavor or texture cuz it is probably 90/10, and that just ain't gonna have any flavor!  I do believe it will be spectacular when I add 25% beef fat to it and then use it for meat loaf, along with some of my homemade Sicilian pork sausage!

I guess it is why corner burger joints that make their bones on crusty burgers use grill presses!

• #36 by Bentley on 19 Dec 2018
  • It pan seared them better then I expected!  Not as good as SS, but pretty close!

• #37 by Darwin on 19 Dec 2018
  • It's nice to see properly seared scallops.   :clap:   
  • #38 by dclord on 20 Dec 2018
  • Is there a trick to doing scallops like that? Last time I tried they released so much liquid that they simmered instead of searing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #39 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Dec 2018
  • Is there a trick to doing scallops like that? Last time I tried they released so much liquid that they simmered instead of searing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Probably dry them with a paper towel before cooking but that is a guess as I have never made them
  • #40 by Darwin on 20 Dec 2018
  • Fresh dry packed scallops are the best at a reasonable price.  Diver scallops are the best I have eaten, I think they were $40+ per pound. The ones packed in a white ish liquid taste chemically and ooze liquid when cooked.  Not worth it in my opinion.
    Wet food produces steam and inhibits browning.  I like to place each dry scallop onto a hot pan one by one.  No over crowding and turning each over the same way. None of that fancy tossing with the pan.  Sear them hot and fast, shoot for rare to medium rare depending upon how you like.  Yum.
  • #41 by Bentley on 20 Dec 2018
  • I did it just like Lew describes, with a paper towel.  And a hot surface!

Kristin said these were listed as Diver Scallops in the store, I was so please when I heard that, then I opened the packaged and laughed.  To me, they are just larger then Bay Scallops.  They were $18/lb., which I thought was a hefty chunk, but after seeing the last comment, these were low rent.  For not going in the brine they were quite flavorful...Will take a scallop over just about any seafood except cold crab!
  • #42 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2019
  • After seeing pmillen update his Hexclad I though it must be 6 months since I bought this...wrong.  Showing no wear, but 3 months is no test.  I also have found I like the 12 inch size, the square shape does not bother me, but it slopes out from the center, and that I do not like!  Will report back in June with some pictures then...

If I ever bought another one, and I think I would, I would make sure it is the 10 or 8 inch and that the entire surface is the same elevation!
  • #43 by okie smokie on 14 Mar 2019
  • I did it just like Lew describes, with a paper towel.  And a hot surface!

Kristin said these were listed as Diver Scallops in the store, I was so please when I heard that, then I opened the packaged and laughed.  To me, they are just larger then Bay Scallops.  They were $18/lb., which I thought was a hefty chunk, but after seeing the last comment, these were low rent.  For not going in the brine they were quite flavorful...Will take a scallop over just about any seafood except cold crab!

Scallops are my favorite.  Fried.  Our local "White River" restaurant deep fries them for me and serve them with cocktail, and tartar.  Nothing as sweet. Snow crab or Dungeness gets second place.
    We have the top line Sears non-stick set.  After using sprays and such, they are now "stick" pans.  Wonder why?
  • #44 by Bentley on 14 Mar 2019
  • They said never to use cooking sprays on this, no explanation why, so I haven't!
  • #45 by Darwin on 14 Mar 2019
  • The spray oils tend to gum up cooking surfaces more than oil.  My waffle maker says not to use sprays.  It has ceramic coatings on the plates.
Pages:
Actions