Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 23 Dec 2018
  • When I started up my DB this morning it made a loud squealing noise for a few seconds and then it stopped?  What can I check to hopefully prevent a problem down the road?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Dec 2018
  • Sounds like the auger and maybe a slight pellet jam.  If it was cold, it may have been part of the issue.  I have heard others speak of that on these forums.
  • #3 by triplebq on 23 Dec 2018
  • My Grid Iron sometimes does this when I start it in the cold. After a few minutes it goes away.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 23 Dec 2018

• Is either the auger or blower motor bushings suffering from wrong or lack of lubrication. These simple motors (shaded pole) are same as your bathroom fan and are marginally lubed at assembly.. The beat

thing to do is to remove, disassemble and lube the bushings and armature ends w/ a synthetic motor oil such as 5w/20. Use a cotton swab to apply the oil and make sure to soak the felt bushing oil

retainers..Properly lubricated, these motors should run trouble free for years.
  • #5 by reubenray on 23 Dec 2018
  • It was in the mid 40's which was cooler than what I usually start smoking something at.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 23 Dec 2018

• To differentiate the blower from the auger, watch both fans. It is very possible the offending motor/fan will be turning slower while the squealing is going on due to friction generated from no lubrication warms

what little lubricant there is...Be ready to look at it immediately at start-up before the squealing stops..

If you don't want to lie on your back to look up, use a mirror and a light.

If I am correct, your DB has a 3RD fan,(pressurization). That should be added to the equation.
  • #7 by Mudflap on 06 Feb 2019
  • Check the Auger/Bushing. Remove and clean tube.

Mudflap
Pages:
Actions