Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grid Iron Temperature Testing  (Read 3527 times)

keithj69

• Using less gas.
Re: Grid Iron Temperature Testing
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »

Also, I should mention, that though there has been some debate on the Godke Downdraft unit, I've ordered one up and will run temp testing with the Downdraft installed to see if it evens out temperatures across the cooker.

I have evened the temps at the grate by using 2 inch x 2 inch aluminum angle  I have 4 pieces cut to 8 inches each (6 inch would work).  one piece on each side Front/back resting on drip tray is pushed all the way over towards the wall/drip channel.  then I place another piece on top and move to lengthen or shorten it according to the temps and cook.    I'll get some pictures after i finish using the grill today. 
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »

Please post pictures of the angle.  I received  the Downdraft, but will wait until I order a Fireboard and can perform further testing.
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »

Upon purchasing my Fireboard (and extra ambient probes), I decided to perform more accurate temperature zone testing.  This time, all testing was done without aluminum foil as I have also purchased a Don Godke Downdraft and wanted baseline left-to-right temperatures before and after installation.  As well as basic left-to-right testing, I also added the lowest pro-shelf and did left-to-right testing there as well.  This was out of curiosity as I tend to split cooking between grate level and lowest pro-shelf level.  The pictures below show the probe placement in my Grid Iron.

I replicated the temperature setpoints of the first test and allowed ample temperature soak between readings.  After setting up all (6) probes and prior to starting up the cooker, I closed the lid until all probes showed readings within 1.5 degrees of each other.  While possibly not 100% accurate, I decided that this would be a sufficient control for this testing.  Since the sun was out during the initial stage of setting up the cooker, natural warm spots may have occurred, so I'm not concerned with this variance. 

There definitely is a temperature difference between the left and right sides of the cooker.  I was also surprised at the temperature difference between the grate and pro-shelf level.  I expected the pro-shelf to have a lower, more even temperature than the grate level.  While the left-to-right temperatures were slightly more even on the pro-shelf, they were, indeed, all higher.  I plan on installing the Downdraft in the next few weeks when I get time and will repeat this exercise.  As a side note, I realize that with thermal mass (food) on the cook surfaces, airflow (and temperatures) will change.  This data, coupled with post Downdraft installation data, simply represents any affects of the Downdraft.  More information will follow.

Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »

I hope that downdraft helps regulate the left to right variance for you.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »

Did you get the downdraft installed and tested?  I am curious as I have the same temp swings and even with the angle iron installed things are still not quite right.

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

Not yet...hoping to install it this weekend and perform further testing.
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »

any luck on the downdraft install? 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up