All Things Considered > General Discussion--Food Related

Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.

(1/7) > >>

BC Buck:
When brisket hit internal temp of 155 I put in foil pan and covered with Reynolds foil. Put in oven for about 4 hours to finish at 205 internal temp. When I was checking meat temp I noticed a spot in foil about 1" in diameter.Had bunch pin holes with 1/4" hole in center and spot felt like it was falling apart. I could see the spot where foil was touching meat and had off color look. The seasoning was Oakridge Black Ops. My thought was the salt and some kind of electrolysis. Any of you every have this happen?

pmillen:
Aluminum pan and aluminum foil.  Hmmm.

Bar-B-Lew:
i've seen same thing when i leave food in pan and put in fridge

pmillen:
This is intriguing.  A ¼" hole and pin holes.  Where did that aluminum go?

I'm looking around the Internet and can't find anything.

Edit:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.

pmillen:
I found this.  I don't know if it's sensationalism or even a qualified authority.  http://theconversation.com/why-you-shouldnt-wrap-your-food-in-aluminium-foil-before-cooking-it-57220

A couple of quotes–

* "Aluminium [sic] is significantly more likely to leach into food, and at higher levels, in acidic and liquid food solutions like lemon and tomato juice than in those containing alcohol or salt. Leaching levels climb even more when spice is added to food that's cooked in aluminium [sic] foil. Anything acidic sparks a particularly aggressive process that dissolves layers of aluminium [sic] into food.

"This research suggests that aluminium [sic] foil should not be used for cooking."
* "Scientists are exploring whether over-exposure to aluminium [sic] may be posing threats to human health. For instance, high concentrations of aluminium [sic] have been detected in the brain tissue of patients with Alzheimer's disease."
Edit:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View