Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading Grand Slam in Pickup  (Read 1268 times)

captaink

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Loading Grand Slam in Pickup
« on: August 06, 2019, 03:49:42 PM »

Any of you guys have a decent method of loading a Blazn in a pickup.  Grand Slam is like 180 lb so manageable but not easy.  I was thinking ramps but wondering if I'd be able to push it up them.  I'm good size but just wondered if anyone had done this.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Loading Grand Slam in Pickup
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »

Just sold my Grand Slam last month.  Best method for the buyer: 
1. First emptied all the loose stuff, including the heat deflector, grates, etc.  (my custom grates weighed 20 lbs). 
2.  Used a mini van with the back seats folded forward.
3.  Two guys of young but average build
4.  Rolled it to the open back door, tilted it top first into the van (protected the bottom with a blanket) keeping the lid closed I think with a rope around the body. Then slid it on its back into the van. 

I think you could do the same with a pickup but it would be higher up to lift as you tilt it.
I don't think it would be lifted with one average guy, just because of the size, clumsy. I don't think keeping it on its wheels would be wise. 
Another suggestion, might be to lay it on its back and remove the legs.  then it could remain upright in the truck.  Again requiring a good deal of protection with moving blankets or the like. 

Or are you just taking it somewhere to cook with and return home with??????

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »

I did something very similar to what Okie said when I loaded my used Grand Slam into the back of my Honda Pilot.  Empty the pellets out too ;)  You can use bungee cords to strap down the lid.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »

Been so long since I have need to put a unit in the back of a truck, trailer for the last 18 year.  With the tailgate down, where does it hit the back of the unit?  I was always...get it close, put big blanket around pit, lean it up against tailgate and lift legs and shove on.

Did not always go smoothly!

My answer to your question is no.  I always wanted to attach one of those engine pullers to one side of the truck and use it as a hoist!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:14:23 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »

Advice from a guy who’s had three back surgeries from poor lifting technique–

Ramps into a pickup are usually too steep to be workable.

I’d invest in a Tommy Lift if loading and unloading is a repeated activity.

If I were only loading and unloading once or twice, I’d marshal three friends and have everyone grab a corner and hoist.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

captaink

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »

Thanks guys.  My buddy has some longer 9 foot ramps. Gonna try those.  Otherwise didn't think about sliding it in on its' back with a blanket.  Seen that done with a fridge.  Guess laying it on it's back won't hurt anything.  It's a one time deal for now.  I need an extra smoker for a comp. If I end up doing it more I will come up with a better plan.  Thanks again.

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »

My advice is to save your back and just keep everything while adding new ones too!  8)
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »

For general loading around the house, I bought a pair of ramp ends for 2x stock and put them on 8ft 2x10s.  I've loaded several grills by myself into the back of my pickup.  With the 8' length it is not too steep for me to manage alone.  I just take it slow and watch to make sure the wheels are in the middle of each 2x10, which gives a little bit of leeway.
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

captaink

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

@Yellow-03.  Thanks for the reply.  That is exactly what I'm going to try.  My buddy has them on 9 foot lengths.  I feel a little more comfortable knowing you have done that.
@rdsbucks, I like the way you think.....believe me I have been thinking that...especially if this comp thing continues to work out as well as it has so far......maybe something a little lighter for travel.  Problem is I don't really like anything lighter.....maybe Rec-Tec,but thats about it.  I would miss my Blazn. :-)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »

@Yellow-03.  Thanks for the reply.  That is exactly what I'm going to try.  My buddy has them on 9 foot lengths.  I feel a little more comfortable knowing you have done that.
@rdsbucks, I like the way you think.....believe me I have been thinking that...especially if this comp thing continues to work out as well as it has so far......maybe something a little lighter for travel.  Problem is I don't really like anything lighter.....maybe Rec-Tec,but thats about it.  I would miss my Blazn. :-)
I replaced my Blaz'n with a Stampede.  Don't miss the Blaz'n. It was great but the Stampede is as good and WiFi is standard. Also, would be much easier to load. (about 75 lb lighter).  I find that the firepot cleanout is easy, and not as often as you might think.  The fan seems to keep it blown out of serious ash buildup. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up