Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pig Jerky  (Read 1059 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Pig Jerky
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »

Wasn't sure where to put this.If this is not the right place feel free to move. Thank you.

Saw a small 7.5# boneless pork loin and thought jerky. Trimmed it up and cut into sections and sliced with the grain by hand, thickness varies a bit but it worked out well. Some may have been close 3/8 thick. I separated the fat striped meat from the rest. The fat striped I keep for myself usually.

Had about 6.5# after trimming, I had found some cure packets out of some old Shore Lunch kits, they had cure, salt and brown sugar listed on them. 2 teaspoons to a pound is what directions said, so I went with 4 tablespoons and added 2 T fine black pepper, 1.5T granulated garlic and 1T  of sea/natural salt. I  put it in a shaker and sprinkled and stacked on a sheet pan, then with what I had left  in the  shaker I put more on each layer as I stacked them in the little cambro container. Into the fridge for 2 days.

Started the Pit Boss CH7 at 150, and laid the strips out not really crowding them, I also sprinkled some Black Pepper Garlic seasoning, that was with the cure packets I found,over the ops before I put them in. 8:00 AM start I rotated them about 6 hours in and took them off at 10 hours. Put in the gray lug and left sit a few hours, covered with sheet pan before bed then the next day cut them and packaged and sealed up (I thought I had pictures of that but I guess not). 

Did not turn out bad for just using up some stuff I found in the cupboard. I did like the stacking and dry brine if you will, over the usual wet brine I have done in the past. Thank you YorkDude (I hope that was the person with the post that did it that way.) I will be doing it this way again. Thinking chicken breast will be my next go, we bought a 40# case in 10# bags of boneless skinless breasts from Gordons Food Service (solution added) They were huge breasts, 7 halves to a bag. I think they will make nice jerky strips.

The smoker set at 150, well i went out to check a few ties and it would drop to as low as 140 and the highest I had seen was 215 so a lot of movement there.I may do as Barb B Lew mentioned one time about smoke for 4 hours then finish in dehydrator, the big Cabelas dehydrator moves more air I believe than the Copperhead.

Thanks for looking.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Pig Jerky
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »

Heck yeah, nicely done. Thanks for the mention, glad you liked it. I have tried pork a few times with varying results. I am going to have to try it again, yours looks very good. I have the smaller copperhead and it really does have a mind of its own but so far has not let me down, I just keep my eyes on it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:12:34 PM by yorkdude »

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »

That is a well written post!  Just wish I had the ability and equipment to do it.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »

That is a well written post!  Just wish I had the ability and equipment to do it.

Really, other than the copperhead for size, nothing special used. You could scale it to whatever brand cooker you have. Could use Cure 1 instead of the cure I used. I will put a link to the knife used below. First time using it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019WQDOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John you can do it, if I can anyone can.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »

Nice job, looks great.

John, you could make jerky on your Memphis.  It is what I use to make part of our batches.  I just place it on frogmats and set it to its lowest temp of 180°.  You can get a pretty decent dehydrator for $100 USD.

We have not put cure in our jerky the last few cooks.  We usually vac seal within 24 hours and then it goes into the fridge or freezer.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up