Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Make Sausage Video...  (Read 3137 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Make Sausage Video...
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:27 PM »

This really does not meet the guidelines for this area, I realize it, but I am going to put it in here so it is easier to find.  I hope it will encourage others to make some, it is a simple process.  Time consuming, but it is not like doing differential equations...

Like I say in the video, I have no idea what "Good" Andouille sausage would taste like.  To me, this could just be a mild, everyday sausage, even something one might like in a bun, so I really doubt it is very Cajun!  It is kind of what I have been looking for in a Breakfast Sausage!  Will see what 12 hours of melding spices, air drying and then smoking does to the flavor.  I was very surprised, if I had not known I had put liquid smoke in it, not sure I would have been able to pick it out.

How to Make Sausage...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Make Sausage Video...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:13:46 AM »

Interesting and informative.  It looks fairly easy.  I'll watch for your video on smoking it in a pellet pit.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »

Pretty much just as easy.  I don't post this to belittle or denigrate a Manufacture, but...I was going to warm smoke it in the Memphis Pro but it wont start this morning.  I simply do not want to go get the Daniel Boone like I should, since it will get down to 150°.  So I fired up the Blaz'n Smoker and will put 90 minutes of cold smoke on it. 

Your post has made me want to get motivated to go get the DB and do it right.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »

Quick question, does it make a big difference with the casings? I did not watch all of your video yet but I am not going to Kansas City today. I can however get LEM casings real close.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »

I am going to assume the LEM are collagen?  Only thing I have ever made with them are snack sticks.  I would think they would be fine.  This is conjecture, the only issue I could see with them might be snap...but, they might enhance that, so I say do it!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »

Yes as far as I know collagen. Going to try.

dogbreath

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »

As a Papa Tom traveling Sausage Class graduate, I'll chime in some.

First, be OCD about cleanliness. I use a bleach mixture over all the counters before starting, and try to work quick, especially for fresh sausages with no nitrites.

To get the most even texture, grind your meat partially frozen so the blades will cut rather than tear and your chunk size will be consistent. I cut my meat to grinder size, about an inch by inch with length not important, partially freeze, grind into the mixer, add the salt/spices, mix until sticky, add ice water or wine as appropriate to get a stuff-able consistency (too thick is hard to push out of a stuffer), and proceed. Fry up a bit before stuffing to see if you need more of anything.

Collagen casings are certainly easier to prep than hosing out natural casings. They have an "angled' accordion to them, and I find them easier to control with the "arrowhead" or inner part pointed towards the stuffer. They need a finger pinch where they will be linked off because they won't stretch like naturals when you link them, they can tear. Some have luck twisting, I don't, so I tie.

Collagen will let smoke into the meat. I use natural mostly, but after the smoke and cool you can remove the collagen casings if you decide you don't like the texture. If you mix your sausage long enough for it to get sticky/clingy (see Bentley's mixer pix) (the salt helps extract the proteins that give the sausage its sticky texture and make it hold together), it should remain solid after casing removal. Hot dogs are made this way and that's why they're so "shiny". I've sometimes had the collagen casings want to stick and I don't know why so can't tell how to prevent it. It may be a lack of fat that lubricates.

The Hermann Wurst House master sausage maker (Hermann MO--try his stuff if you get the chance to go by there) told me that to get the snap the natural casings need to be dry, so they need to hang or be turned to get dry all over before smoking. This is why we use nitrite, so bad bugs don't grow during this time. Then after smoking, the ice water plunge will quickly cool it all and help the snap. This also takes the sausage down below the bug growth zone quickly so you can refrigerate/freeze.

Recipes: Len Poli has an extensive list of them so google Len Poli (removed the link, don't want anybody mad).

Anyone near Denton, TX is welcome to borrow equipment to try. I have a LEM grinder, stuffers, mixer etc. Not doing it nearly as much as I did in my younger years, but it still makes for a satisfying day.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:43:30 PM by dogbreath »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »

Was able to get the Memphis Pro to start, so will see what a combination of cold and warm smoke does.  Will pretty much finish it to 130° where the fat will start rendering.  I might go as high as the 150° suggested, will play that by ear, but since it is going into Gumbo, will be cooked in it and I would rather have the fat melt in that pot then in a pit.

Gonna leave Len's website, but I have been told he does not like it used.  Makes no sense to me, but that is what I hear.  Will see if we get any push back.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »

I thought I showed that in the video, but I guess it did not come across very well!

To get the most even texture, grind your meat partially frozen so the blades will cut rather than tear and your chunk size will be consistent. I cut my meat to grinder size, about an inch by inch with length not important, partially freeze, grind into the mixer...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »

I love the way the color changes when you smoke sausage.  IT is about 110°, the fat is staying in the links, so please with that.

After watching the video for the 2nd time, I realize I did not convey several things I was trying to get across.  I do like the cubed the meat and fat, then add ingredients and chill and marinate.  It seems to mix the spices into the meat better to me.  I have always ground and added the seasoning after the fact and I will change that.  Also, I wanted to grind and pipe at the same time, but the fat was not uniform and I was afraid that it would not be a consistent product piped into the casing.

What I wish is...that I could go buy some Andouille to see what it should really taste like.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »

What I wish is...that I could go buy some Andouille to see what it should really taste like.

I'm not sure about Mayberry, but most super markets have one or two brands of Andouille, I prefer Johnsonville.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »

You hail or spent time in the Bayou right?  I just assume it was like saying a regular McDonalds hamburger was top of the list...Is Johnsonville pretty traditional?

I'm not sure about Mayberry, but most super markets have one or two brands of Andouille, I prefer Johnsonville.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »

No, not really, but the closest that I've found.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 02:13:33 PM »

Will get some tomorrow, at least it will give me an idea.  The little bit I cooked up yesterday tasted great, and since I dont know what it should taste like I guess these comments ring hollow.  But looking at stuff on line, theirs looks like ham stuffed in a hog casing!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »

Pulled at 135°, bloomed and resting before I fry a little up and see!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up