Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by The Pup on 17 Sep 2019
  • After approximately 1,200 cooks (estimated), this circa 2009 Traeger BBQ075 has always delivered expected results. 

Of course, it has had a few mods along the way (all beyond any economic benefit or return-on-investment--the meat simply does not know the difference):

• Rec Tech SS Burn Pot and Hot-flash Ceramic Ignition System (converted to 9-hole)
    • Smoke Daddy 35lbs Hopper with pellet dump and SS lid
    • Smoke Daddy PID
    • Heavy Duty 30Watt – 2RPM Auger Motor
    • Fan Motor (0.48amp)
    • 10 Gauge Heat Diffuse
    • SS Drip Pan
    • SS Drip Channel
    • Traeger BAC268 Extra Grill Rack
    • Traeger BAC015 Folding Front Shelf
    • Traeger BAC024 Bottom Shelf
    • High-wind lid stops and an extra temperature gauge

I wipe it down and vacuum the ashes after each cook--nothing more.

• #2 by Jimsbarbecue on 17 Sep 2019
  • Nice
  • #3 by litzerski on 18 Sep 2019
  • Not much of a Traeger anymore!  How do you like the Smoke Daddy hopper and controller?  I'm planning a build/conversion that will use one.

And beautiful kamado you got there!
  • #4 by Herb on 18 Sep 2019
  • Clean machine!!
  • #5 by Canadian John on 18 Sep 2019

•  Excellent first post.. Your pits are showroom+..Nice mods on the Traeger.
  • #6 by yorkdude on 18 Sep 2019
  • Holy cow, 1200 cooks ? None of mine looked anywhere near that clean after 5.
    Do you wipe down everything? The whole thing looks like it is brand new, especially the inside. The grates, probe etc. even the stack bolts.
    You must spend hours cleaning it everytime.
  • #7 by Bentley on 18 Sep 2019
  • Very well maintained!  Your title reminds me that if I still had mine they would be 17 years old...Time does go by!
  • #8 by The Pup on 18 Sep 2019
  • How do you like the Smoke Daddy hopper and controller? 

On the last cook, when operating at 235F for a few hours, I had my first ever flameout; which triggered a reignition cycle when the PID detected the pit temp had dropped down to 130F (the cook completed as expected with no intervention).  I was using some 10 year old pellets if that matters.

Admittedly, I had never experienced a flameout before with the Traeger controller(s).

Otherwise, there have been no issues or concerns over the last 7 months of use (with the Smoke Daddy parts).  It holds the temp freakishly well--which is a big "so what?" in the big scheme of things.  The ability to empty the hopper fast is a plus.
  • #9 by The Pup on 18 Sep 2019
  • You must spend hours cleaning it everytime.

About 6 minutes including the post vacuum clean-up.
  • #10 by dk117 on 19 Sep 2019
  • I'm having troubles with this thread. I want to put out big kudos to The Pup, but I too have a 2009 Traeger Texas.   I admittedly left mine outside for the entire decade.   It still cooks fine, but it's nowhere near pristine.   There's got to be more to the story here.  I don't see any smoke or grease or rust or stain?  No warping of the lid?  your chimney cover looks untouched by smoke. 

Sorry friends, I'm calling BS.

DK
  • #11 by yorkdude on 19 Sep 2019
  • I'm having troubles with this thread. I want to put out big kudos to The Pup, but I too have a 2009 Traeger Texas.   I admittedly left mine outside for the entire decade.   It still cooks fine, but it's nowhere near pristine.   There's got to be more to the story here.  I don't see any smoke or grease or rust or stain?  No warping of the lid?  your chimney cover looks untouched by smoke. 

Sorry friends, I'm calling BS.

DK
    I don't know if it is BS or not, I can say that I have never seen one this clean, not even close with even 10 or 12 cooks on it.
    That is why I had to ask about the time spent cleaning it, even the grates are unbelievably clean, he could use pans all the time but you still would have some sort of residue?
    In any case, there is no doubt it is a very nice set-up.
  • #12 by rdsbucks on 19 Sep 2019
  • That's the finest looking 10-year-old outdoor cooking device I have ever seen!
  • #13 by The Pup on 21 Sep 2019
  • A sampling of cooks over the many years; and a thermal survey I did back in the day (posted on the old forum):

To be clear, I simply wipe it down and vacuum the pot after each cook (we did three this week)--it only takes a few minutes.  I use disposable gloves, disposable shop towels (usually four) and a spray cleaner (some green type).

For the grates, I use one of these while the grill is still warm after the cook (it takes less than a minute):  http://www.sojoe.com/grill-cleaning-set.htm

I occasionally replace the aluminium foil on the drip pan.

This is where it is parked between cooks:

This is my other pastime:

P.S.  I am an old retired E-9, and I would show you the hurt in my eyes (for being called a liar here) if it existed.  I simply do not base much of my self-concept on what other people think unless I respect, love or honor them.  I just wanted to convey a positive Traeger experience and share the mods incorporated along my 10-year journey.
  • #14 by dk117 on 21 Sep 2019
  • my hat off to you sir.   I have never seen a Traeger Texas that clean with 10 cooks, let alone 10 years of cooks.

DK

PS please stay around and continue to document your Traeger journey.   You've got thick skin, and I was off base (as your immaculate surroundings are a testament to the validity of your post).   Thanks for sharing. 
  • #15 by yorkdude on 21 Sep 2019
  • I meant no disrespect but I truly have never seen, nor imagined, any grill that level of clean with that many cooks. Probably speaks more about me and my “lack of attention “ on mine more than anything.
    It is immaculate and your attention to detail on it, your shop & your guitar hobby speak volumes.
    Nicely done.
Pages:
Actions