Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-Ring Pellets on blazn  (Read 2793 times)

my2020indy

• Lurker
Smoke-Ring Pellets on blazn
« on: September 18, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »

Anyone have any luck running these in their Blazn? I tried them and they jammed the Auger.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Smoke-Ring Pellets on blazn
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »

I am not familiar with Smoke-Ring pellets.. I would be interested to know their diameter and length.. Pellet length is all over the map so it's not an exact science. Just sort some of the longest and measure

them giving. If they are, for the most part, long, ~ what %?    :2cents:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »

Not in a Blaz'n, but went through about 400lbs in the Memphis and GMG with no issues.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:49:02 AM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »

I have run several hundred pounds of Smoke Ring pellets through both my Blaz'n Grill and my Yoder with no issues. Also use them in my travel Treager Jr.

I just ordered another ton of mixed types of Smoke Ring pellets today. They are the only pellets that I have used the last couple of years.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

my2020indy

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »

Interesting. Not sure why mine wont feed properly.  I have not had luck. They are a smaller diameter than other pellets. Maybe half the diameter. There are some that are longer (around 1.5" or so) Maybe that's the issue. My grill does not like them. I did a test and they feed to the point the auger wont turn anymore. The Auger tube is full but the The motor tries to turn the auger but it get bound up and pellets stop dropping into the Burn Pot.

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »

Interesting. Not sure why mine wont feed properly.  I have not had luck. They are a smaller diameter than other pellets. Maybe half the diameter. There are some that are longer (around 1.5" or so) Maybe that's the issue. My grill does not like them. I did a test and they feed to the point the auger wont turn anymore. The Auger tube is full but the The motor tries to turn the auger but it get bound up and pellets stop dropping into the Burn Pot.
Why not contact Blazn. They should have some idea of what's causing your pellet feed problem.. On an other thought, has water ever been present as to jam-up the auger at some point?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »

Almost sounds like the auger is not true...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

my2020indy

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »

I did contact Blazn and they said they never heard of the issue with that brand. No moisture in the Tube. Feeds other pellets
with no issues. I'll need to pull the Auger and see if there are any bends in it or see if its warped. I would think if it was i would
have problems with other pellets as well.

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »

This is becoming interesting..Something has to be causing the problem..Is it just the one bag of pellets causing the problem or have you tried a second bag of Smoke Ring pellets?

If the auger or auger motor was the problem I would be led to believe the jamming issue would be with all pellets unless the auger/motor problem is marginal that would not be caused by smaller diameter

and/or shorter pellets.

In my troubleshooting days, I always said, the answer is always simple. You just have to find it. A Tip: Don't overlook the obvious.  Good luck!

my2020indy

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:28 AM »

I only have 2 40# bags of them. I have not tried the other bag. Probably from the same lot i would guess. I put them aside and figured i
could use them for my smoke tube or throw a hand full in here and there to use them up. Its not a big loss.

last time i tried running them the auger to motor pin broke causing the grill to shut down and ruin a Brisket cook i had going overnight.
My fault for not checking more often. The auger was bound up pretty good. I had to manually turn it backwards to get it out then clean the tube. I tried a test run with them again and once the tube was filled it would not turn anymore. The motor would pulse but the auger would not turn. I pulled the
pellets and ran some other pellets i had and they fed with no issue and the grill ran with no issues.

Canadian John

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »

Hmm; Sounds like sidelining the Smoke Ring pellets is in order. If the jamming doesn't reoccur using other pellets, the  S R pellets or something mixed in with them was somehow causing the problem.

Please keep us informed. I am curious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up