Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaii Marinade Smoked Mahi Mahi with Okinawa Purple Sweet Potatoes  (Read 918 times)

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.

OMG what was somewhat of an accident and had me concerned turned out to be quite possibly the best Mahi Mahi we've ever had. Seriously. We've had Mahi Mahi in Hawaii dozens of times and I've cooked it many many times but this cook blew my mind and taste buds away. I had planned on having it for dinner last night and put the Mahi Mahi in "Aloha Barbeque Sauce" (basically Soy, sugar, ginger, garlic, water) to vac' seal marinate a couple hours before smoking when Debi said she felt like Spaghetti for dinner. I debate taking it out of the marinade but opted to let it go over night, took it out and rinsed after about 16hr vac marinade, equivalent to probably 1-1/2 to 2 days regular marinade time. The Mahi Mahi pieces where rather dark looking before any smoking!

Here's what it looked like after smoking 2hrs @180f the about 1/2hr @250f to IT 120f

Shiny and juicy on the inside

Topped it with some peach mango salsa had in the fridge, warmed up first (from Costco) Plated with coconut milk candied Okinawa Purple Sweet Potatoes

Seriously KILLER Mahi Mahi and I ain't bragging. Seldom does a cook really blow me away like this anymore.

There is a story behind my coconut milk candied Okinawa Purple Sweet Potatoes. We'd had those purple taters in Hawaii a couple times, but not like this. About 20 years ago I was doing a pretty authentic Luau at our home for 30 people BUT did not want Poi! So, instead thought of the Okinawa Taters and thought about the candied yams ya see everywhere Turkey Day and hmmm, how to do Hawaii style. Coconut Milk was the answer. People love them and WAY better than purple wall paper paste, I mean Poi.  ::)

Here they are cut about 3/4", sprinkled with sea salt then cracked pepper. Be carefuly cutting them, they are VERY hard.

Then almost covered in coconut milk before baking 325f a couple hours smoker. Basting them a few times with the coconut milk. By end of cook most of coconut milk is absorbed (as seen in finished cook above)

We did have a tossed salad with crumbled bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette to make a balance meal.  ;)

FYI I WILL replicate this Mahi Mahi smoke with the LONG marinade for fish tacos in the future too!

Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Hawaii Marinade Smoked Mahi Mahi with Okinawa Purple Sweet Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »

Perfection! Not much more to say other than a sample would have been nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up