Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Stillsmoking on 06 Oct 2019
  • Looking for some feedback if anyone has ever used a vacu-stack on top of there chimney for a Traeger, and if so what one. I have a pro 22 series and have a a lot of issues with flame out. Iv used different kinds of pellets I clean the fire pot right before the cook and still have it go out. I’m think I’m getting a down draft down the chimney blowing out the fire. I live on top of a hill and have lots of field around me so it gets pretty windy. Was thinking the vacu-stack would help but it also might pull smoke out of the smoker and loose smoke flavor. Any input is appreciate or any other ideas to help not blow out the fire.
  • #2 by pmillen on 06 Oct 2019
  • Did Traeger Customer Support have suggestions?
  • #3 by Canadian John on 06 Oct 2019

• If you have a charcoal chimney for lighting charcoal, turn it upside down and place it over the chimney cap. It will allow the chimney to function as usual and deflect winds from blowing across the top causing a negative pressure..Let us know how it works.
  • #4 by Stillsmoking on 07 Oct 2019
  • I reached out to Traeger support I have not heard back. I do have a charcoal chimney I will give that a shot and see how it works.
  • #5 by glitchy on 07 Oct 2019

• If you have a charcoal chimney for lighting charcoal, turn it upside down and place it over the chimney cap. It will allow the chimney to function as usual and deflect winds from blowing across the top causing a negative pressure..Let us know how it works.

What a creative idea!
  • #6 by cookingjnj on 07 Oct 2019
  • Atta boy CJ, what a great idea!
  • #7 by Bobitis on 07 Oct 2019
  • I guess I don't 'get it'.

I was always under the impression that wind blowing 'across' an opening created suction. If directed 'into' the opening, it would create back pressure. ::)

• #8 by bregent on 07 Oct 2019
  • I guess I don't 'get it'.

I was always under the impression that wind blowing 'across' an opening created suction. If directed 'into' the opening, it would create back pressure. ::)

Yeah, Bernoulli effect. In any case, I'd be surprised if a fire pot being supplied with forced air from a fan could be blown out by the wind.  Flameouts can be caused by erratic temperature swings. Are you noticing that as well?
  • #9 by AnyExcuse2Q on 07 Oct 2019
  • Could also be the chimney cap being too close and suffocating the fire.
  • #10 by Stillsmoking on 07 Oct 2019
  • My current cap is as open as far as it will go, there are times when there are drastic temp swings,40-50 degree either way from the set point. But there is also times when it stays very consistent 10-15 degree temp swings and that can be all during the same cook. Sometimes it’s has huge swings at start up and then calms down. Other times it stays real consistent to start and then 2 hours into the cook it’s all over the place. I have tried a number of start methods lid open lid closed lid open for 2 min lid open for 10 min I haven’t noticed a coronation between start up method and temp swings. This is what made me think it was the wind because it is so inconsistent on when it works and when it doesn’t. As for the vacu stack I had reached out to savannah stoker as I was interested in a PID controller and they recommended the vacu stack or a wind directional cap.
  • #11 by bregent on 08 Oct 2019
  • > Other times it stays real consistent to start and
    > then 2 hours into the cook it’s all over the place.

If I were to guess I would say that's the problem. I had the same issue with my Camp Chef as do many others with CC and other makes that use dumb controllers. It would lock into set temp for a while, then get erratic and finally flame out when the controller did not feed enough pellets to keep the flame lit. Root cause was never determined but I suspected a leak in the air flow from the fan to the pot.  The "dumb" controllers don't do a good job when all of the expected parameters are not just right. Most likely, the Savannah Stoker will solve your issue.
  • #12 by Stillsmoking on 08 Oct 2019
  • Thanks for the feedback I’ll check to see if I have an air leak from the fan to the pot somewhere.
  • #13 by Stillsmoking on 13 Oct 2019
  • Update - I heard back from Traeger and they said to have the chimney cap all the way open so I’m good on that. I checked for air leaks and did not find any. I used the smoker last night, we had some good winds last night so it was a good test. I tried the charcoal chimney and it seemed to work good the smoker stayed lit for three hours and the temp stayed relatively consistent 15-20 degree temp swings. Based on what I’ve read that’s pretty good for the treager. With all that being said, maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the charcoal chimney and just lower the cap?
  • #14 by Bentley on 13 Oct 2019
  • I don't know if this is true or not, but I would think that the chimney would not effect exhaust exit flow and cap might.
  • #15 by Canadian John on 16 Oct 2019
  • Update - I heard back from Traeger and they said to have the chimney cap all the way open so I’m good on that. I checked for air leaks and did not find any. I used the smoker last night, we had some good winds last night so it was a good test. I tried the charcoal chimney and it seemed to work good the smoker stayed lit for three hours and the temp stayed relatively consistent 15-20 degree temp swings. Based on what I’ve read that’s pretty good for the treager. With all that being said, maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the charcoal chimney and just lower the cap?
    The cap restricts air flow even when it is @ max height. The charcoal chimney placed over the cap reduces cross winds that would otherwise generate either positive or negative pressures in the chimney. The positive pressures slow the volume of air travelling thru the chimney, and the negative accelerate it.The cap, no matter the position won't help w/ cross winds.
Pages:
Actions