Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Stillsmoking on 09 Nov 2019
  • I’m still struggling to get my Traeger to hold temperature even after upgrading to the SS controller I called and walked through it with SS but still struggling. I noticed my hot rod was not sticking out very far does anyone know if this looks right? 
  • #2 by Stillsmoking on 09 Nov 2019
  • Here is a better picture
  • #3 by Bentley on 09 Nov 2019
  • As long as you have no issues with it starting I say leave it.  It will probably be harder to start if it has ash build up in it.  Most are about 1/2 inch further in then yours.
  • #4 by Stillsmoking on 09 Nov 2019
  • Thanks for the reply. It starts the pellets but I was thinking everyone says how important start up is on the Traeger if my hot rod isn’t set right maybe my start up isn’t working right. It usually takes a while to start up and I’m guessing it because the pellets have to build up more to come in contact with the rod. Then it way overshoots temp when it does go.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 10 Nov 2019

•  To lengthen igniter life Traeger revised the protrusion spec of the igniter (hot rod) to 1/8". This was a few years back..The instructions included with a new igniter reflect this...It's the hot air being blown onto

the pellets that ignite them..As with all igniters, the area around them must be kept clear for the igniter to function @ it's best, or in some cases, function at all.
  • #6 by Stillsmoking on 10 Nov 2019
  • Yes it does. Once and a while it will stable out but it’s rare. For example I did a brisket last weekend and had my Webber I grill graph temps. Grill was set at 225 first couple hours it stayed between 235 and 210 but then it started swinging anywhere from 330 to 140 degrees. This contradict my hot rod theory but I’m just trying everything to figure it out. I pulled the auger made sure it was straight. It had a VERY minor bend to it. I could only notice it if put it in a drill and spin it fast. I just replace the RTD prob but I haven’t ran it with that yet. I checked for air leaks and couldn’t find any. During the brisket my fire actually went out and didn’t relight with the SS which I thought was odd it also didn’t shut down just keept feeding pellet they were overflowing out of the fire pot.
  • #7 by smokin soon on 10 Nov 2019
  • Years ago I was having some temp issues that turned out to be cabinet fan binding when hot. It should be free to spin with the flick of a finger. Mine was binding. Pretty easy $34 fix. Another time, an extra hole showed up in the fire pot causing some wild temp swings.
  • #8 by Stillsmoking on 11 Nov 2019
  • I am going to pull the firepot later this week and check it for holes. It’s less hen a year old so I feel like it shouldn’t have a hole but we’ll see. The fan spins free
  • #9 by dk117 on 13 Nov 2019
  • As long as you have no issues with it starting I say leave it.  It will probably be harder to start if it has ash build up in it.  Most are about 1/2 inch further in then yours.
    my old original Traeger Texas I used to be able to start my pit with the lid closed.  A handful of hot rods later (it's over 10 years old at this point) and I've learned better to keep the lid open, clean burn pot, allow time for combustion and get up to 100 degrees and shut the lid.  It stabilizes quite well.  But it was leaving the lid open during ignition that was actually a learning experience for me.  Either way I agree, my hot rod is further out than yours. 
Pages:
Actions