• Trim off fat and sinew
    • Don't remove the bone-side membrane, it holds the ribs as a unit
    • Apply rub to the meat side only
    • Don't season the membrane side, it appears to be impenetrable
    • Refrigerate for a couple of hours
    • Preheat pit to 250°F
    • Smoke-roast until internal temperature (IT) is 202°-204°F
    • Serve
    It's pretty simple.  I had a bit of a problem deciding when they should be pulled from the pit because the meat varies in thickness.

Short ribs (6.6 lbs.)

Trimmed to 5.9 lbs.

Seasoned and rested.  Ready for the pit.

Done.  I pulled a bone and took a bite.

They were pretty good; great "beefy" taste, tender but a bit "stringy".
  • #2 by bregent on 20 Dec 2019
  • Those look great. If they were a bit stringy then they probably just needed a bit more time. How long were in the cooker?
  • #3 by triplebq on 20 Dec 2019
  • Nicely done
  • #4 by yorkdude on 20 Dec 2019
  • Oh man those look good. Nice job.
  • #5 by pmillen on 20 Dec 2019
  • If they were a bit stringy then they probably just needed a bit more time. How long were in the cooker?

They cooked for a bit more than five hours.  The "stringiness" is hard to define.  They didn't seem undercooked, it's just that the meat grain was obvious.  And it has a way of wedging between teeth.  (Maybe I'm the only person that happens to—it's age related.)
  • #6 by pmillen on 20 Dec 2019
  • I've got some I just dry brined, although these are already cutup

Please post your recipe and results.
  • #7 by yorkdude on 21 Dec 2019
  • Holy smokes.
    1. The view, terrible.
    2. The cigar, terrible.
    3. The drink, terrible.
    What did you cook again?
    Wow, FANTASTIC, who cares about the cook.
  • #8 by pmillen on 21 Dec 2019
  • A.  You must be hardy to be able to endure that winter.

B.  The ribs look great.

C.  I had a bit of a stall, too.  In fact the internal temperature would sometimes drop a degree.  I hate wrapping ... so didn't.  After reading your comments I've concluded that it might be advisable.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Dec 2019
  • I lived in Chula Vista for about 15 months about 90 minutes south of you but I had the view of the mountains and a golf course versus your ocean view.  I miss that climate.  It was 20 years ago.  My only New Year's Eve/Day outside in shorts (comfortably) in my life.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Dec 2019
  • Thanks all.  BBL, I had the reverse sort of.  Lived in Chicago for 4 years, then Sat. Louis for 6 years.  I only miss the cold and snow just the week of Xmas/New Years, otherwise “ugh”. 

On the ribs, the problem with wrapping is having a decent place to insert a temp probe given the already separated ones I had.  Next time I think I’ll start them a couple of hours sooner.  If they finish early, I can always FTC or into a warmed oven until serving.

Haha...First 22 years of my life in Eastern PA, then 4+ in Memphis, 18 months in Colorado Springs, 15 months in Chula Vista, and 15 years north of Chicago, before the last 4.5 back in Eastern PA.  I've seen quite a few climates and time zones.  I remember people in San Diego telling me that there was 4+ climate zones within 30 or so miles of San Diego...crazy to think.
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 22 Dec 2019
  • I can never seem to get mine tender and they are always stringy.  I don't think I'm cooking them long enough even though they get over 200 IT.  My brother says his come out tender after wrapping them.
  • #12 by pmillen on 22 Dec 2019
  • I'm leaning toward wrapping the next time.  If I do, they're going into the kitchen oven.
  • #13 by pmillen on 13 Jul 2020
  • Bump!

I sous vide cooked beef ribs at 135°F for three days, then fast chilled them in ice water, put them into the refrigerator.  I later smoked them at 225°F for 1:45 until the IT was ~170°F ~130°F.

There were large pads of fat left after all of that.  We ate them and the meat was wonderful but the fat was annoying.

Do you suppose that I bought two packages of ultra-fat beef ribs?  What the heck?

EDIT:  Corrected IT.
  • #14 by bregent on 14 Jul 2020
  • Bump!

I sous vide cooked beef ribs at 135°F for three days, then fast chilled them in ice water, put them into the refrigerator.  I later smoked them at 225°F for 1:45 until the IT was ~170°F.

There were large pads of fat left after all of that.  We ate them and the meat was wonderful but the fat was annoying.

Do you suppose that I bought two packages of ultra-fat beef ribs?  What the heck?

I trim ALL of the fat cap from beef ribs - it does not render well.  I'm not sure what you gain by SV low for 3 days and then smoking to 170F - what is the idea behind this?
    Also, by smoking them to 170 you missed out on something really special - rib eye tender, medium rare beef ribs. 
  • #15 by pmillen on 14 Jul 2020
  • I trim ALL of the fat cap from beef ribs - it does not render well.  I'm not sure what you gain by SV low for 3 days and then smoking to 170F - what is the idea behind this?
    Also, by smoking them to 170 you missed out on something really special - rib eye tender, medium rare beef ribs.

Dumb me!  It wasn't 170°F.  IDK where that number came from.  I corrected my post to 130°F.  Thanks for pointing that out.

The fat cap was trimmed off.  It was the internal fat that was troublesome.  It wasn't all that obvious when raw.  I don't see how it survived 72 hours in SV.
Pages:
Actions