Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Feb 2020
  • This is the thread for the product review of the Grizzly Cast Iron 12 Inch Skillet.  The manufacturer's website is:  https://www.grizzlycookware.com/ and additional information can be found at that site.

The manufacturer makes the following representations regarding this product:

1.  Coated cast iron cookware
    2.  Easy to clean
    3.  No seasoning required
    4.  Smooth cooking surface
    5.  100% made in the USA

It came with a card containing a "quick clean up guide".  Users are told to wash the skillet before the first use and to not use bleach on the skillet.  Recommened clean up:  hand washing with dish soap and a sponge.  If there are still stains on the cooking surface, they recommend washing with Bar Keeper's Friend Soft Cleanser to restore luster.

The package it arrived in was sturdy with no holes or dents.  Upon opening, everything in side was in good order.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The nickel finish is lovely in the unused pan.  It will be interesting to see changes over the course of cooking.   The inserted "Quick Clean Up Guide" was a handy reminder and easy for me to keep in the kitchen.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #2 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Feb 2020
  • This skillet is heavy and solid.  We weighted it and it comes out at about 9.5 lbs, maybe a tad more.

Information provided by member sschorr re the weight of cast iron skillets:  "The Lodge 12" weighs is 8.8 lbs.  Calphalon shows 6.75 lbs (info from online search).  The Stargrazer (which I have) is 6.5 lbs. "
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Feb 2020
  • First cook was bacon.  A couple of photos and video of different stages of cooking.  Used metal tongs with no problems.  Bacon did not really stick to the pan that much, very easy to turn.  This was Bent's homemade bacon so might have a bit more sugar which burned in pan.

Drawbacks for using it to cook bacon -- the pan is heavy and the handle gets very hot. so you need a pot holder or mitten to move the pan around and can become a bit cumbersome.

Grizzly CI Bacon Cook

• #4 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Feb 2020
  • After the bacon cooked, Bentley wanted to make scrambled eggs for a couple of breakfast burritos.  We used a heat gun to show the skillet temp (our stovetop is propane fueled). I will do a fried egg later.  He wanted to cook with the leftover fat and fond. He used a metal spatula and I did not notice any problems or scratches.  Showed the pan after he took the eggs out.

Scrambled Eggs

I let the skillet cool per manufacturer's instructions and then hand washed with warm water, soap and a thin sponge.  It cleaned up fairly easily with very little scrubbing.  The bacon did leave some slight discoloration.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by Canadian John on 08 Feb 2020

•  That  skillet looks very high end. Nice packaging etc.. Off to a good start I see..
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Feb 2020
  • Thought I would show a photo of the skillet (empty) in our wall mounted oven.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Feb 2020
  • Heating up the oven to 450 degrees to put Ina Garten's Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken in for cooking.  This is definitely a high heat cook and I think the skillet is used to keep the heat in for the last 10 minutes of the cook when the bird comes out of the oven and then is covered tightly in tin foil.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Feb 2020
  • Finished cook, sauce by itself and finally a plate of food.  The skillett held a 6 lb spatchcocked chicken with ease, could have even been a bit bigger.  Bird seemed to cook very evenly in it and sauce had a few nice browned bits with no burning.  A bit disappointed in the recipe, don't think I would try it again. Very definitely needed both handles to get out of the oven.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by Canadian John on 09 Feb 2020
  •    
     The chicken looked good. What did the skillet look like after the cook and how hard was it to clean?
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Feb 2020
  • Easy to clean, not much sticking to it.  Developing a little discoloration with each use.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 09 Feb 2020
  • The chicken looks very good, ,the sauce would not go over for me, not a lemon person unless it is lemon pudding or lemonade. The chicken and rice I would be all over.
  • #12 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2020
  • You are correct sir!  And whole Lemons to boot!

...the sauce would not go over for me, not a lemon person unless it is lemon pudding or lemonade.
  • #13 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Feb 2020
  • Johnny cake cook today.  Just used Jiffy mix because I like it and it is simple!  I used 3 packages and it filled the pan nicely.  Started with about 6 Tbs. of butter greasing the pan:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Then the mix:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Then on to the Memphis Pro at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #14 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Feb 2020
  • It cut very easily and came out very smoothly no sticking:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Photo of finished product top and bottom. Bent was surprised that bottom was not darker.  Maybe the light finish of the pan?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

It sure was good!!  And would feed a ton of people.
  • #15 by Bentley on 11 Feb 2020
  • That was perfectly cooked Corn Bread.
Pages:
Actions