Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by BigDave83 on 14 Feb 2020
  • So did the surface feel as smooth in picture 2 as picture 3?  Is it merely a color thing?

Did not even think to test the feel.  It looked dirty to me;  I know, a novel concept for you that you may not fully grasp.

I can understand that, why wash out all of that flavor in the pan, he was set for eggs in the morning. I love to do that left over stuff in the pan, eggs the next morning cleans out the pan.
  • #32 by Canadian John on 15 Feb 2020

•  As a young boy, I always washed and scrubbed my cast iron skillet after cooking. This was usually done with the help of a SOS pad.  I sure as heck don't do it that now. It's a hot water only, rinse and a scrub

with a brush. If there are nasties still stuck, I scrape them off using a plastic Lodge scraper or a scrubbie. Then it goes onto a gas burner to dry and heat up. A very thin coating of oil is applied then wiped off.

The oil can't be wiped off 100% so a very thin coat remains. Any thing more than a very thin coating of oil has a chance of going rancid and/or turning gummy. Over time this helps develop a good layer of

tough seasoning.  Seasoning is a build up of oil and very fine food particles that develops only with age. It can not be rushed..To me, seasoning adds flavour. That is why some die hard C I cooks have dedicated

cookware, that is a vessel to cook only one thing in so the flavour carries on....  As far as fine food particles being part of the seasoning and possibly harbouring bacteria or other sickness causing organisms,

they won't survive the intense heat of a cook..
  • #33 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Feb 2020

•  As a young boy, I always washed and scrubbed my cast iron skillet after cooking. This was usually done with the help of a SOS pad.  I sure as heck don't do it that now. It's a hot water only, rinse and a scrub

with a brush. If there are nasties still stuck, I scrape them off using a plastic Lodge scraper or a scrubbie. Then it goes onto a gas burner to dry and heat up. A very thin coating of oil is applied then wiped off.

The oil can't be wiped off 100% so a very thin coat remains. Any thing more than a very thin coating of oil has a chance of going rancid and/or turning gummy. Over time this helps develop a good layer of

tough seasoning.  Seasoning is a build up of oil and very fine food particles that develops only with age. It can not be rushed..To me, seasoning adds flavour. That is why some die hard C I cooks have dedicated

cookware, that is a vessel to cook only one thing in so the flavour carries on....  As far as fine food particles being part of the seasoning and possibly harbouring bacteria or other sickness causing organisms,

they won't survive the intense heat of a cook..

You don't have to season or re-season these pans.  That is the beauty of their surface.
  • #34 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Feb 2020
  • Fried egg cook.  As you all can tell, I sprayed one half of the pan with canola oil and left the other un-sprayed.  Then cooked, and flipped to show whether there was any non-stick to untreated side.  Used a metal spatula.  I have no experience with cooking on CI. so I don't think I got the temp as hot as it maybe should have been.

Grizzly Fried Eggs

Edit:  after the pan cooled down comletely, I put some warm, soapy water in it and let it sit about 30 seconds.  Then washed.  Everything came out very clean, very easily.
  • #35 by pmillen on 15 Feb 2020
  • Just like a stainless steel pan, a little oil helps.  That was a good demonstration.

If I had one of these I'd cook on it just like I cook on stainless steel.  The Grizzly advantage is its specific heat.  It stores a lot of heat and doesn't cool when something absorbs heat from it.  I suspect that you can sear a series of steaks without a loss of searing ability like I experience with lightweight pans.
  • #36 by pmillen on 15 Feb 2020
  • The manufacturer apparently doesn't offer lids.  Do lids that you have on hand fit it?  (I prefer to put a lid on my eggs.)
  • #37 by hughver on 15 Feb 2020
  • Do lids that you have on hand fit it? 

Even if a lid would fit, the two pour spouts would make the lid less effective.
  • #38 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Feb 2020
  • I have a 12 inch Revereware stainless steel skillet.  The lid from that fit, but not a snug fit and heat/steam would certainly escape.  But I am sure it would hold some in.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #39 by pmillen on 16 Feb 2020
  • Do lids that you have on hand fit it? 

Even if a lid would fit, the two pour spouts would make the lid less effective.

I suspect that leaking steam would be insignificant.  Many of my frying pan lids for pans without a pour spout have a lid vent to reduce the chance of steam pressure lifting it.
  • #40 by hughver on 16 Feb 2020
  • I suspect that leaking steam would be insignificant.  Many of my frying pan lids for pans without a pour spout have a lid vent to reduce the chance of steam pressure lifting it.

Yes, most of my pans with lids also have a hole for steam release, but the hole is 1/16" diameter. Big difference, I would be surprised if with those two gapping holes, that there was any steam effect at all.  :2cents:
  • #41 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Feb 2020
  • I suspect that leaking steam would be insignificant.  Many of my frying pan lids for pans without a pour spout have a lid vent to reduce the chance of steam pressure lifting it.

Yes, most of my pans with lids also have a hole for steam release, but the hole is 1/16" diameter. Big difference, I would be surprised if with those two gapping holes, that there was any steam effect at all.  :2cents:

Maybe that can be a test with an infrared gun to take temp without a lid on and then put a lid on for 5 minutes and take temp after pulling the lid off.  Not an exact science as I get the temp drops after removing the lid, but may give us an indication if the lid holds in any heat.
  • #42 by hughver on 16 Feb 2020
  • Surely a lid of any type will increase the air temperature within the vessel. However, with pressure (even a little pressure) and the existence of some moisture, the temperature will get much hotter.
  • #43 by Bentley on 16 Feb 2020
  • My IR gun was purchased before I knew about ThermoWorks.  It has no emissivity setting, and the color of this nickle seems to repel accurate temperatures like Kryptonite!  It is not my review, but I have wanted to know how hot it gets too.  When I took the reading before pan searing the Sirloin it was at 190°. pretty sure it was almost 3 times that.  I have a piece of L iron in garage, may try and cut off small piece, just not sure how accurate heat transfer will be.

Maybe that can be a test with an infrared gun to take temp without a lid on and then put a lid on for 5 minutes and take temp after pulling the lid off.
  • #44 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Feb 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #45 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Feb 2020
  • Cooked The Pioneer Woman's Pecan Sticky buns today.  You put the pecans in the bottom, put in a mixture of butter and brown sugar and into the oven for about 15 minutes.  When melted, take out, pop in the cinnamon rolls previously prepared and let them sit in the skillet for 20 minutes.  The heat from the skillet causes the rolls to rise.  Then back in the oven to finish.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions