Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by glitchy on 22 Feb 2020
  • Between Kristin’s great review and the coupon code I couldn’t resist. Looks live the perfect cast iron for more occasional use.
  • #62 by Canadian John on 23 Feb 2020
  • Between Kristin’s great review and the coupon code I couldn’t resist. Looks live the perfect cast iron for more occasional use.
    It's hard to go wrong with good cast iron like this.
  • #63 by Bentley on 23 Feb 2020
  • I have cooked in it a few times, and with the most minimal of oil, it behaves as good as any non-stick pan I have ever owned.
  • #64 by glitchy on 23 Feb 2020
  • Bent, that’s kinda what I figured after seeing the sticky buns. Excited to get ahold of mine.
  • #65 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Feb 2020
  • Hamburger cook.  It will put a nice crust on the meat.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #66 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Feb 2020
  • Folks, unless someone wants something specifically cooked, tested, or a question answered, I feel we are done with this review.  I hope members have found it informative.  It is a very nice skillet, cleans up easily, but is awful heavy for me. With others that might not be an issue.

I would like to thank the member who sent this to me for testing.  He would like to remain anonymous, but I know many members would also add their thanks.  It will be on its way back to you in short order if no more tests are requested.
  • #67 by pmillen on 27 Feb 2020
  • It is a very nice skillet, cleans up easily, but is awful heavy for me. With others that might not be an issue.

From an earlier post in this thread:  The Lodge 12" weighs 8.8 lbs.  Calphalon shows 6.75 lbs (info from online search).  The Stargazer is 6.5 lbs. 

My 12" LeCruset enameled cast iron pan shown below weighs 6.5 lbs.  It seems quite heavy.

EDIT:  This Grizzly weighs in at 9½ lbs., the heaviest of the group.

• #68 by pmillen on 27 Feb 2020
  • It will be on its way back to you in short order if no more tests are requested.

Kristin, did smoke stain it when you cooked with it in your pit?  Did the smoke clean off okay?
  • #69 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Feb 2020
  • I did not notice any smoke stains on it, but I was cooking at 350, so not sure a lot of smoke in the pit.  I could not think of anything I wanted to cook in a real low smokey range, but am happy to do something if someone wants to suggest.
  • #70 by pmillen on 27 Feb 2020
  • No, I can't think of anything. 

I recall some smokiness on my regular cast iron and have been wondering how well smoked nickel cleans up.  I guess it's immaterial.  Soap and water isn't the best treatment for seasoned cast iron but should clean the nickel nicely.
  • #71 by jdmessner on 02 Mar 2020
  • This has been a great thread. I have read with caution because because I really don't need to buy another pan. However if I did, this one would be at the top of the list!! Thank you for doing the testing, and thank you to the person who sent in the pan for testing. It was much appreciated!!
  • #72 by pmillen on 05 May 2020

• Grizzly is offering another discount until the end of the month.
  • #73 by pmillen on 25 Jan 2021
  • Grizzly has 20% off and free shipping again.  I have three of their pans and think every one is worth the regular price. 

The offer code is ILOVEGRIZZLY.  It's good until February 14, 2021.
  • #74 by pmillen on 21 Apr 2024
  • This is sort of an addendum to Kristin's thorough review.

I've had my 12-inch Grizzly nickel plated cast iron pan for four years.  I probably cook on it a couple of times a month.  Tonight, as I was cleaning it, I noticed a couple of spots that wouldn't come off with Barkeeper's Friend.  I finally scratched at them with a fingernail and thought, "Hmmm, they may be pits."  Poking at them with a wooden pick confirmed that the larger two are, indeed, pits.  The third one is small and not confirmed to be a pit—the wooden pick point didn't fit.

I sent the following photograph to Grizzly and asked what I've done or not done to cause this.

I'll keep you aware of developments.
Pages:
Actions