Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another jerky experiment.  (Read 1090 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Yet another jerky experiment.
« on: February 09, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »

Got a deal on pork loins a while back. I cut one and cured for about a month and have it in Umai bags now in the back fridge until it loses 40 to 45% of its' weight.

I had an extra one I left back there and finally decided to try something different, I cut a few chops off the end for dinner and cut in half then trimmed the fat and silver skin. Mixed up my Canadian style bacon mix for each piece. Sealed them up and into the fridge for 2 weeks turning everyday or so. Then I took out of bag and rinsed well and dried off. For some reason I started cutting it across the grain instead of my usual with. I did taste it as I cut it and it was not salty. I mixed up some seasoning and  sprinkled both sides and then layered in the plastic container and in the fridge over night, put in the dehydrator the next morning at 160° and it took about 7 hours.

Turned out pretty good, a bit of sweet behind the heat,needed more salt though for me. Texture was different but then I did cut it the opposite of my normal way and still not sure why i did that. I left it in the dehydrator over night then bagged it up then next morning, as it seems to equalize the moisture  some. I had thought it would turn out more ham flavored but it really didn't.

If I do this again I will either EQ cure with 3 to 3.5%salt and  .25% cure 1 or add more salt to the cure mix. Thought about cutting back on the brown sugar but I kind of like that bit of sweet, it is different than what I normally make, in I don't add sugar to my usual ways.

When the weather gets better and I can get a smoker set up outside I will put it in one of them and try it .

Cure Mix.
1T Morton Tender quick per pound of meat.
1.5T Dark Brown Sugar per pound of meat   
I had a bit over 3 pound in each piece. Used 3T of TQ and 4.5T DBS

Seasoning mix
2t Chipoltle powder
1T Fine Black Pepper
1.5T each Garlic Powder and Granulated Onion ( was out of onion powder)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Yet another jerky experiment.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:00:34 PM »

Pork Loin is a pretty flavorless meat like chicken breast.  I am going to assume it will take on virtually any flavor profile that is introduced to it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:07:41 PM »

Yes, even most cheaper cuts of beef are lacking in flavor, top round, eye of round or bottom round the usually jerky cuts. That is one of the nice things about jerky, just like BBQ you can add or adjust flavors to your tastes and liking.

The nice things with pork loin is it is reasonable i think these were 1.58/pound. So great to experiment with and any that I have given away has gone to waste, people are always looking for jerky if I make it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 08:15:55 PM »

You are certainly correct about taste and the cuts of beef you listed.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »

Wegmans on the eastern side of PA runs a special leading up to new years day  at $0.99/lb for boneless pork loins.  I bought about 20# this past year.  Half was made into thick pork chops and the other half will be used for jerky either stingin honey garlic or terayaki
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up