All Things Considered > General Discussion--Food Related

Need Pork Steak Recipe

(1/5) > >>

pmillen:
I bought a pack of pork steaks at Costco.  It turned out to be two ½-inch steaks rather than the single 1-inch steak it appeared to be.  I grilled one over charcoal and it was less than good. I have to get the other one out of the freezer, so I'm thinking of smoking it.

How does this look to those of you who have some experience with thin pork steaks–
  ● Spritz with apple juice
  ● Rub
  ● Smoke at 225-250°
  ● Spritz every 45 minutes or so
  ● Wrap with apple juice for an hour when the IT is 135-140°
  ● When the IT is 200° or so paint with BBQ sauce and put back on the smoker for 10-15 minutes to set the sauce

It's thin cut.  Would it need to be brined?

Please take a moment to offer up your successful recipes.  Maybe even put them in the recipe section and just refer me there.

Edit:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.

Bentley:
About the only thing I know of pork steaks is...Pretty sure this is how they are finished.  I always though they were just supposed to be grilled and finished the way you show.  Not sure how you would ever get it that Country Rib softness cooking that way, but that is the way they talk about it!

--- Quote from: pmillen on June 15, 2020, 04:00:27 PM ---...so paint with BBQ sauce and put back on the smoker for 10-15 minutes to set the sauce

--- End quote ---

jdmessner:
I will be following. As part of the "clear out the freezer before you move" game, I have found several pork steaks in the freezer. I have been trying to figure out what to do with them.

cookingjnj:
I do not think I have ever made a pork steak.  With that said, I have been brining pork chops, pork loin, pork tenderloin for a while now.  I make a typical simple brine of water, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns and bay leaf.  Recently I have started to add a can of ginger beer (it does not contain alcohol) to the brine.  The ginger gives a great flavor to anything pork.  In my opinion of course.

smokin soon:
4 hours in some 7-up, splash of soy, garlic & onion powder. Smoke for 40min on Traeger then max. Chars quick with the sugar. Best put on grill very cold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View