Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ThermoWorks Signals  (Read 879 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
ThermoWorks Signals
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »

Kyle and the good folks at ThermoWorks are sending us a Signals to Test/Review.  So please let me know if there is something you want cooked or a feature you want delved into.

Thanks ThermoWorks!  Man, I feel like I have arrived, I did not even had to ask and they are sending it!

Signals™ 4-Channel BBQ Alarm Thermometer with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® Wireless Technology

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: ThermoWorks Signals
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »

I am told the new Beta app that is currently available, is a significant improvement over the original and is near completion. The new app will make the experience that much better.  We will see!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »

I am told the new Beta app that is currently available, is a significant improvement over the original and is near completion. The new app will make the experience that much better.  We will see!

That's good to know because I have yet to use mine.  I have a few Smoke devices that I probably don't need at least one of them.  Wish I knew someone that would use them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »

Bent, are you sure you can handle all those wires?   ;)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »

Beef ribs!!!  We have to find some nice beef ribs!!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:01 AM »

I have never made them on the grill so I am going to throw this out there.  A big baked potato to add to the beef ribs cook.  I would be curious to see how the temp increases in a potato.

I think you will have challenges using all four probes at once if you have items spread all across the grill grate from left to right.  I believe the cables are too short.  Fortunately, they have cable extensions which do a nice job.  I know I made a recommendation on their website a few years back about that type of product.  Not sure if it was my idea, their's, or someone else's, but they made them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »

I am most interested in the following that can be done with any cook or without cooking but having the grill turned on or in some instances just having the unit turned on.

1. How well the wifi works.  Can you go into town while it is cooking and still see the results on your phone.
2. How well the blue tooth works.  Does it work well on your phone through the walls of the house?  Does it work as many feet away from the unit as it says it does?
3. Thoughts on the app interface, things you can do with it, does it graph the cook, can you download the graph into Excel, Google sheets, or some other software, etc.
4. Does it do anything else they claim on their website that it should do that would be meaningful for someone that buys this?  I think it is geared toward bbq competition cooks.  How would you use it at a bbq comp?  Can you replicate that at home to assess whether it would work for you?  Does the battery life hold up to their claims?  Etc.

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

BBL covered most of the things I would like to see.

Just will add a couple things.
1. Use of all 4 probes.
2. Can the graph be shared in real time with others.

Thank you in advance for doing this and a big thank to Thermoworks.  :clap: :clap:
FE PG 1000

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 02:15:46 PM »

I have a few lots of Smoke devices that I probably don't need, and will never use.  Wish I knew someone that would use them.

Me too.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »

Thank you both for some great ideas to put this through.  I kind of come up short when it come to those ideas!

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »

I find that the Signals works well with meat of different thicknesses. I put the probe in various sections so I have a better understanding of how the entire piece is cooking.

This is good for bricket, beef tenderloin, rib roasts.

I would test something that has different thicknesses.

Also test out the data saving features on the app. I have been having trouble with my data being lost when I try to save graphs lately. I was not having that problem in the past.

I am going to be calling Thermoworks on this.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »

That's good to know because I have yet to use mine.  I have a few Smoke devices that I probably don't need at least one of them.  Wish I knew someone that would use them.

I wish I was smart enough to use them.  They look complicated.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »

Bentley, I just bought some briskets at Giant for $2.99/# for whole packers.  Not sure if you have that grocery chain near you or not.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »

We do.  The testing comes at a good time as were are trying to repay the neighbors for wood and mulch, so I am going to venture that most all that is cooked will go to them in one form or another!

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »

I am using my Signals now. I just a received a freezer today and I am using the Signals to verify that it is working correctly. It collects and graphs the data.

This may seem extreme but we had a brand new refrigerator fail several years ago. I noticed ice cream dripping in the freezer despite everything being frozen.

I took a cantaloupe and stuck a probe in it and checked the temperature periodically for a couple of days. Our refrigerator was getting up over 70 degrees and then cooling down again.

They were never able to fix it and ended up replacing it. I want to make sure everything is good before loading it up and buying additional food that I don't have storage for in my refrigerators.

This is just another use for a Signals. And don't get me started on school science projects.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up