Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bentley on 03 Jul 2020
  • Going to try and show the range of the BlueTooth. 

I would like Members to head the Manufactures guidelines when using BlueTooth...The BlueTooth and WiFi Signal is 95 feet Line-Of-Sight.  If however the Signals is close to another device that uses Radio Frequency those devices may create interference. The transmission can also be interrupted by walls and building materials of the home/building.  Signals will easily communicate through glass, but tinting on windows can interfere with signal.

You can see the little battery, bluetooth and wifi indicators.  I am told when you get out of range that will go off.  I will move around the house with the phone and camera and try and make about a 1 minute video showing the range in various rooms.

• #32 by Bentley on 03 Jul 2020
  • 90 second video on the Signals Bluetooth range.  It is a hack job, but you will get the idea!

You get maybe one or 2 walls, it pretty much needs line of site inside, but if you have windows or doors towards where the unit is it helps a lot. 

Signals Bluetooth Range
  • #33 by WiPelletHead on 03 Jul 2020
  • That is some impressive range for Bluetooth.
  • #34 by Bentley on 03 Jul 2020
  • This is a 9.3lb, USDA Prime Costco Brisket.  It has a rub of salt, finely ground pepper, onion & garlic powder with about 1/4 cup of light brown sugar on top.  I plan on cooking it at 200° from now until I get up.  Will see how bark and temperature look after 12 hours.  Will probably foil to finish, but being Prime, anything can happen.  Used the last of my sodium phosphate in my custom injection tonight, so that worked out well!

Now we discussed this.  Below is a link to my account on Thermoworks icloud.  Maye it lets you directly in, or maybe it asks for username (lwnna@yahoo.com) and password (PelletFan1).  Like watching grass grow, so you wont be there long, but you get a chance to see the icloud and how it works.  No idea if anyone will do it, or if it has limitations on how many can log in at one time.

If anyone does check it out, please let me know, and let me know what you had to do to view it!

Thanks!

ThermoWorks Cloud

• #35 by WiPelletHead on 03 Jul 2020
  • Easy to do. I just clicked on the link, entered the user name and password. This was on the computer with out downloading any thing. Looks like a person needs to be careful as I think I could have changed settings. (That might be a good thing for teams)
    Other that that it worked well.
  • #36 by smokin soon on 03 Jul 2020
  • Lots of good info, but quite risky, as it looks like any lurker can change settings. Might be a good question for Kyle for other ways of sharing a cook.
  • #37 by Bentley on 03 Jul 2020
  • I though that one might be able to change alarms and highs and lows, but with no control of my Memphis I did not worry about it.  Now if someone had the ability to set the Memphis at 500° at 3 in the morning, that Brisket would be wasted and the house would probably be on fire.  I can't imagine anyone ever sharing a link like I am doing!  And if your teammates are out to sabotage you, it is time to start looking for a new team!

Thanks for letting me know it worked.
  • #38 by ylr on 04 Jul 2020
  • Looks good, maybe you're in the stall now?

Edit: If you want to see the graph, click "Pellet Fan Signals" under Devices.
  • #39 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jul 2020
  • I'm most surprised at the fluctations in the grill temp.
  • #40 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • I just got through putting it in pan and covering.  Turned Pro to 275°.  Hope to have it finished by 11am.  Forgot picture, sorry.  Good color, not what most would think of as bark, just a rich Mahogany color.

The variations in temperature, not sure.  Maybe having to do with meat and probe on 2nd shelf.  Maybe Lowes heating pellets, maybe just older and seals or controller is going bad.  Really dont know, but I have been over temperature fluctuation for so long, don't care.  I know you dont either, and it was know for stability, so I have no answer for you.  Hoping the Brisket turns out well and my laziness does not cost me a dry brisket!

Oh, it was $4.99/lb, not $3.99.

I did change temps about 11pm, 6am and 9:15am!  And you can see where it was foiled at about 9:30.  The graph seems to start at 4:30am, I do not understand where the rest of it went!
  • #41 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • 199° at far end of flat.  Not quite there, I am think 205°.  Going to pull and cut as it finishes, not going to do a one temperature makes whole Brisket done!  If you are  a fan of heavy hard bark, you would not like my brisket!

• #42 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • Unless others come up with suggestions I think we are coming to the end.  I will ask Kyle on Monday if there is anything the Company would like me to demonstrate.

I will address #1 when I go into town this after noon.
    2. Above average in my mind, but we try to show data so you all can make the decision.
    3. I am not a tech/gadget person in general, really not for BBQ.  I will say that it is easy to use.  It can go in either Excel or Google, I just have no idea how to do it.  That is not the devices fault.
    4. The bluetooth would make it very attractive for Competitions.  I would not need battery life at a competition, as I always had power, but the battery last as long as advertised.  About 12 -16 hours depending on what interval you want data to chart at...ie 15 seconds, 30, etc...

1. How well the wifi works.  Can you go into town while it is cooking and still see the results on your phone.
    2. How well the blue tooth works.  Does it work well on your phone through the walls of the house?  Does it work as many feet away from the unit as it says it does?
    3. Thoughts on the app interface, things you can do with it, does it graph the cook, can you download the graph into Excel, Google sheets, or some other software, etc.
    4. Does it do anything else they claim on their website that it should do that would be meaningful for someone that buys this?  I think it is geared toward bbq competition cooks.  How would you use it at a bbq comp?  Can you replicate that at home to assess whether it would work for you?  Does the battery life hold up to their claims?  Etc.

Just will add a couple things.
    1. Use of all 4 probes.
    2. Can the graph be shared in real time with others.
  • #43 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • In Mayberry right now, the app is working fine.  Sorry I don't know how to take a screenshot.
  • #44 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jul 2020
  • If its an android phone you can hold down the power and down volume at the same time.  Some phone allow you to wave your hand across from left to right if you have that setting turned on.
  • #45 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • I did a search before I left the parking lot and it said you could do what you posted, that did not work, or hold down the power button then tap screenshot, that did not work either.  You know you pay top dollar, $79 for a phone, you expect it to do what you want!

Let it be known, if your device is connected to the internet, and your smart device is connected to the internet, you can see your data!
Pages:
Actions