Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • A Member, WiPelletHead , was able to pull a screen shot on their phone of the Data being broadcast from the Signals.
    So here is the data from the Signals when I was walking through Wal-Mart in Mayberry!

• #47 by WiPelletHead on 04 Jul 2020
  • I snapped that to show that it  works real well on WIFI as I'm in WI about 1,000 miles from Bentley.
    From what I've seen it works better than the WIFI on my Anova.
  • #48 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • Doh!  Sorry for thinking you were DK!

I dont even get this.  So you have the link to the icloud, how do you get it on to the phone?
  • #49 by WiPelletHead on 04 Jul 2020
  • I downloaded the Thermoworks newest app. Then just used the login info that you had posted. It was real easy to do and never had a hiccup like some apps do. Yesterday I was following from the computer using the cloud and decided to try the phone today.
  • #50 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • Of course, the log in for both is the same!  Thanks for showing that I can monitor my cooks when we go to see FMT and Trooper!    :pig:
  • #51 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jul 2020
  • Any final assessment on this device?
  • #52 by Bentley on 04 Jul 2020
  • Let me see if I have covered all the things ThermoWorks wanted shown and I will give a few thoughts.
  • #53 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jul 2020
  • Sounds good.  I think a final wrap up would be in order and a good completion point.
  • #54 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Jul 2020
  • Posting with Bentley's permission.

Here is an example of a graph created using Excel.

I went into Sessions on the new phone app and selected the session that I wanted to chart.

I hit the three parallel bars icon and selected export data followed by Excel 2007+.

Selecting the CSV option data gave me a png graphic file.

The file ended up in the Downloads folder on my phone. I copied it to my desktop.

When opening the file in Excel on my desktop I got an warning message that the file is in a different format than specified by the file extension. I responded yes, that I trusted the file source. Once open in Excel I ran into some difficulties getting time to plot on the horizontal axis. It turns out that the file was saved as a web type (explaining the warning message) and I had to re-save as an Excel workbook. Once I did that everything worked as expected. Below is my graph of a tritip cook.

I adjusted the time access to display time of cook rather than time of day.

I am running Excel 2010 on my home desktop.

• #55 by Bentley on 05 Jul 2020
  • Thanks.  I guess I expected to see a spreadsheet.  Tells you what I know about Excel.
  • #56 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Jul 2020
  • The chart was constructed from a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is just a list of numbers. I have also used the spreadsheet to perform statistical analysis on pit temperature performance.

I have my Signals set to collect data every minutes. Going back to my earliest graphs on the old program I was collecting every 15 seconds. That was too much.

You have options of 15, 30, or 60 seconds selected in the options menu.

The chart below is a histogram of my pit performance. I believe I had it set for 250 but was measuring on the hot side. I got a nice distribution around 275 with a standard deviation of about 8 deg F with very little skew, which you can see in the summary statistics. It is also showing a positive kurtosis meaning it is peaking more than a normal distribution curve.

This is an excellent way to assess pit temperature performance which you can only do if you can capture the temperature data.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #57 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2020
  • Trying to go through things I may have missed or not shown.  I guess it is so easy to set the Signals with the Smart Device that I forgot that it can be programmed from the Unit.  All functions are there and it could obviously be used without a Smart Device if you wanted to use it in that capacity.

• #58 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2020
  • You always hope that most folks have a sense of humor!
  • #59 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2020
  • There is one feature we did not mention that I asked Kyle to come on and elaborate about...So for all you traitors out there that use Semi-Evil charcoal and the Evil Stick Burners, he will explain the Bellows features of the unit in due time!
  • #60 by Kyle from ThermoWorks on 06 Jul 2020
  • Lots of good info, but quite risky, as it looks like any lurker can change settings. Might be a good question for Kyle for other ways of sharing a cook.

You definitely wouldn't want to share your login credentials with anyone you don't trust. I just verified that the "Add User" function is working so you can actually create a read only login for someone else that is separate from your primary login and would allow people to see data but not make changes.

The other feature that I spoke with Bentley about and he asked me to share is compatibility with the ThermoWorks Billows. For those of you who have a charcoal smoker or stick burner, this gives you automated temperature regulation which is a real timesaver. All you have to do is connect Billows to your Smoker and Signals (or Smoke X) and set the desired temperature. The fan will kick on automatically as needed to keep your pit stable.
Pages:
Actions