Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 26 Jul 2020
  • Bar-B-Lew's post here inspired me to make momma's Salisbury steak recipe.  This is a pretty straightforward recipe.  I'm sure that your favorite one will be just fine baked in your smoker.

I use my BBQs and smokers like an oven during the hot part of the summer.  Not using the kitchen range oven keeps the kitchen cooler and adds a welcome smoke flavor if I want it.

Ingredients
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 can (10¾ ounces) condensed golden mushroom or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    ½ cup each chopped green pepper, celery and onion
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    ¾ cup water
    ¼ teaspoon pepper

Directions
    • Preheat your pit to 350°F.
    • In a large bowl, combine the oats, eggs, green pepper, celery, onion, salt and garlic.
    • Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well.
    • Shape into six or eight rectangular patties.  (Use the baking dish upside down on the hamburger spread out on a cutting board as the pattern and then slice the whole into patties.)
    • Brown the patties on both sides in a skillet.
    • Place patties in an ungreased 13-in. × 9-in. baking dish.
    • Combine the soup, water and pepper; pour it over the beef.
    • Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.

Browned and in the baking dish.

Out of the smoker and in the center of the dinner table.

Dinner is served.

EDIT:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.
  • #2 by Bentley on 26 Jul 2020
  • With the name of the dish this is going to sound silly, but a true Americana dish for me!  It looks great!
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jul 2020
  • Nice stuff.  Did the pellet grill add any distinguishing smoke flavor?
  • #4 by pmillen on 26 Jul 2020
  • Did the pellet grill add any distinguishing smoke flavor?

Mild.  I should have cranked up the smoke.  I wanted more.  Marcia & kids said that could notice it, but they're kind to me.

I might not notice it as much as them because I'm in the smoke, but it was so hot on the patio that I was hardly near it when it was cooking.  (Hooray for remote monitoring!)

Buy a remote reading pit thermometer.

• #5 by yorkdude on 27 Jul 2020
  • That really looks good. We have to give it a go.
  • #6 by Bentley on 12 Aug 2020
  • I am going to try and make this tonight.  Looking at the finished meal, I think I can almost duplicate it.  Have fresh cucumbers from garden, not sure if I have peas in the freezer!
  • #7 by hughver on 12 Aug 2020
  • Well I'm finely on the boat for a few weeks (instead of the normal few months) of cooler weather, so no pit, but this recipe looks so good it will be on the oven menu later this week.  :lick:
  • #8 by pmillen on 12 Aug 2020
  • I just cooked it for a new neighbor moving in.  They raved about it.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Aug 2020
  • I did not make any late last Fall to eat during the Winter like I have in years past.  I will have to remedy that this year.
  • #10 by Bentley on 12 Aug 2020
  • No cream of mushroom, so not having it tonight!
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 12 Aug 2020
  • Looking at the recipe, i could basically use one of my meatloaf recipes for this? 

Also wondering it it could be done at a lower more smoker temp like 200 to 225 for the smoke flavor. Maybe 60 to 90 minutes. Internal temp of 160ish I would think.

I may have to give this a shot. The GF isn't a mushroom person but I could pick out the chunks I guess.

Thanks for sharing.
  • #12 by Darwin on 12 Aug 2020
  • This was called hamburger steak when I was a kid.  Always served with brown onion gravy,  mashed potatoes and green beans.
    I haven't had it in many years.
    Yours looks great, thanks.  ;)
  • #13 by glitchy on 13 Aug 2020
  • The only salisbury steaks I’ve had are Swanson’s and school’s, I think I’m going to give this one a shot, thanks for sharing.
  • #14 by pmillen on 13 Aug 2020
  • Looking at the recipe, i could basically use one of my meatloaf recipes for this? 

Also wondering it it could be done at a lower more smoker temp like 200 to 225 for the smoke flavor. Maybe 60 to 90 minutes. Internal temp of 160ish I would think.

I may have to give this a shot. The GF isn't a mushroom person but I could pick out the chunks I guess.

Go for it at smoking temperature.  I think it's much like a meatloaf mixture.

Soup:  Campbell's makes several Cream of ___________ soups; celery, broccoli, onion...  Maybe you could emulsify the Cream of Mushroom in a blender before using it.

EDIT:  I think maybe the next time I make it I'll double the gravy to provide more for the mashed potatoes.
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 13 Aug 2020
  • Looks very good.

Is that side in the bowl cucumbers?
    We slice up the cukes, add sour cream and thinly sliced onions, then grind some pepper on it.

Pages:
Actions