Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulled Pork Sauce for Diabetics  (Read 1486 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Pulled Pork Sauce for Diabetics
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »

We have been asked to do a pork shoulder for my daughter's family during our upcoming visit. Historically they have enjoyed it sauced. My sauces contain sugar and honey.  Unfortunately my son-in-law has

recently been pronounced diabetic. Sad indeed.

We intend to pull the pork and let everyone sauce it to their liking, with my sauces that we all enjoy..I need some kind of sauce my son-in-law can have that won't encroach on his health... Any suggestions ?

urnmor

Re: Pulled Pork Sauce for Diabetics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »

In place of the sugar can you use an artificial sweetener

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »

Try searching for:
Keto sugar-free barbecue sauce

You'll find some with synthetic sweeteners, and some without.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »

I do some baking for friends who are simply off sugar with Truvia as a sugar substitute and am amazed that there is very little difference in flavor.  It is not something a Cheap Screw like me likes to purchase, but I am gonna assume since you are writing this you like your SIL...and cost probably will not be an issue in this instance!

If you mean you need a sugar free pre-made sauce I am no help!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »

I believe Sweet Baby Ray's now has a sugar free sauce that is supposed to be similar to their regular sauce.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

lil moose

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:33:48 PM »

There are few out there that are low sugar but be careful, they say low carb or low sugar but there content can still spike blood sugar.

Labels these days are not what they should be.

A friend of mine has studied low sugar brands and he sent me this........

Splenda sweetener (regular or brown sugar version) is not a good choice for anyone on Keto or diabetetic.   The main ingredient is Maltodextrin, which is a corn sugar and is known to spike blood sugar as bad or worse than regular sugar in many folks.

Just trying to help

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »

Yeah, Truvia is made from wood sugar alcohol, so a win win for a site like this.  Insted of using the stevia leaf, they take the whole plant and distill it I think.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »

There are few out there that are low sugar but be careful, they say low carb or low sugar but there content can still spike blood sugar.

Splenda sweetener (regular or brown sugar version) is not a good choice for anyone on Keto or diabetetic.   The main ingredient is Maltodextrin, which is a corn sugar and is known to spike blood sugar as bad or worse than regular sugar in many folks.

Just trying to help
  And help he did.  Anyone seeking low carb information such as I was after, contact this man. He was more than helpful and can direct you to a good low cal website.
  Thank you Lil moose.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:37:29 AM by Bentley »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »

I have tried many stevia brands, I had one that I really like then they went and changed it so it is like all the others for me now.

I have tried the Monkfuit sweetener in  my tea and it has worked well but it doesn't seem to be inexpensive. I have also used Xylitol in some sauces and for some baking with good results. I have read that it may cause a laxative effect if to much is consumed, but I have never had this issue. I use it in my pumpkin custard. (Pie Filling)

I still like the good old pink packets of saccharin the best for my tea. I don't recall if I have ever tried to make any type of sauce with it, maybe I will try that.

I am diabetic also, not bad, but still classified as being. I make a BBQ sauce that we like the recipe wants 1/2C brown sugar. I don't know exactly how much it makes but it starts with almost a quart of wet ingredients. Using the Heinz no sugar added ketchup I get roughly 112 grams of sugar to a batch which say I reduce by 30% I get 22oz so I end up with about 5 grams sugar per oz. If I sub the brown sugar for 1/2c xylitol and 1T Molasses I end up with roughly 41 grams per batch at 22oz that is under 2 grams per ounce.

I never measure how much I use but I figure for a rack of ribs 3 to 5 oz, and if you mix he sauce in with your pork you will use less than if added directly on the sammie.

Good luck on getting something made that resembles your normal sauce it can be done, and it is great you are looking out for your SIL.

lil moose

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »

Just trying to help
  And help he did.  Anyone seeking low carb information such as I was after, contact this man. He was more than helpful and can direct you to a good low cal website.
  Thank you Lil moose.

Anytime my friend.  Way I look at it is we are here to learn and teach if possible.   Low carb can be very confusing so I try to help out anyway I can  ;)

So if anyone is interested just PM me I don't want to post the other site and step on toes ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:01:55 PM by Bentley »

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 11:03:12 PM »

Around here there’s a G. Hodges brand of sugar free sauces. Might see if it’s available there. Glass bottles light brown label. If you’re looking for store bought at all.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up