Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 01 Sep 2020
  • Ingredients

1   New York Striploin
    ~1  Cup of beef rub, your choice (I used Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub)
    ~½ Cup of Worcestershire sauce (you’ll need enough to make a paste of a consistency that you like)

Directions
    • Trim all of the fat and silverskin from the loin so that the rub will reach the meat.
    • Mix the rub and Worcestershire sauce to a paste consistency that easily spreads and adheres to the loin.
    • Liberally apply the rub paste to the loin’s top, bottom and sides.
    • Wrap the loin in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
    • Preheat the smoker to 225°F.
    • Remove the New York Striploin from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
    • Dust the loin again with the beef rub.
    • Roll the loin when the internal temperature (IT) reaches 60°F.  (Optional)
    • Pull the loin when the internal temperature reaches 120°F.
    • Reverse sear the loin on all sides for about 15 minutes total.  Do not allow the IT to exceed your desired serving temperature minus about 7°F.
    • Rest the roast about 10 minutes, carve and serve.

NOTE:  I use a different rub almost every time I smoke-roast beef.  As listed, this time I used Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub.  All 9 family members, who regularly eat my smoke-roasted beef, said that this is the best ever.  I agree.  Oh, it's goooood.

I thumbed through the Striploins.  This looked like the best selection.  Fourteen pounds.

This is what it looked like out of the cryovac.  Not bad.

This is what the hidden side looked like.  I wanted to trim it down to the bare meat to ensure good rub coverage.

The fat side after trimming.  I nicked this one up pretty good when I got a bit frustrated (very sharp knife).

Three and a half pounds of trimmings that I rendered into tallow.

It was quite good.  I'm going to try Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub on other cuts.  I may have found the rub I stay with.

• #2 by BigDave83 on 02 Sep 2020
  • Sounds interesting. I would love to do something like that, but I don't have enough people to eat it but the ones that would come would all want it ruined by having it well done and I would want it closer to raw.

I have come to the conclusion it is easier to cook for her family because I can not over cook a piece of meat for them.
  • #3 by yorkdude on 02 Sep 2020
  • Sounds interesting. I would love to do something like that, but I don't have enough people to eat it but the ones that would come would all want it ruined by having it well done and I would want it closer to raw.

I have come to the conclusion it is easier to cook for her family because I can not over cook a piece of meat for them.
    Identical situation at our house, not enough people and the ones that would eat it just murder it after I cook it the way I think it should be, just bugs the heck out of me.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2020
  • You guys should make one how you want it and then slice it or cut it how you want, vac seal and freeze.  Make your meals for you as you want.  That's how I do it in my house and I eat that stuff for lunch or on nights that I know my wife and I are on different schedules and there will not be dinner cooked.
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 02 Sep 2020
  • I have come to the conclusion it is easier to cook for her family because I can not over cook a piece of meat for them.

Same here.  They don't understand the red is myoglobin, which is a protein found in meat and makes it tasty.  Hope I spelled that right.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 03 Sep 2020
  •  
    On the topic of doneness - We had guests over for a steak dinner. I asked how they would like their steaks done just in case  someone wanted theirs blue.  I was appalled to hear well done. I just had to ask

again to make sure there wasn't some sort of misunderstanding and what well done was. So I asked again, are you sure, this is a ---- steak. Sure enough, well done was what they wanted. To add to my misery,

they later asked for catchup...  Heaven help us. This wasn't a hamburger or some lesser cut of meat..Guess I am simply narrow minded.
  • #7 by Brushpopper on 03 Sep 2020

• Sure enough, well done was what they wanted. To add to my misery,

they later asked for catchup...  Heaven help us. This wasn't a hamburger or some lesser cut of meat..Guess I am simply narrow minded.

That's just wrong!!  I'm right there with you on that CJ.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Sep 2020

• On the topic of doneness - We had guests over for a steak dinner. I asked how they would like their steaks done just in case  someone wanted theirs blue.  I was appalled to hear well done. I just had to ask

again to make sure there wasn't some sort of misunderstanding and what well done was. So I asked again, are you sure, this is a ---- steak. Sure enough, well done was what they wanted. To add to my misery,

I must quote one of Bentley's favorite lines from "Escape from New Yor City" --- "Their savages Mr. President, just savages!"
  • #9 by Bentley on 03 Sep 2020
  • I feel your pain CJ, I think more so on the ketchup then the well done.  But I have to turn the table and say would I want someone asking me how I want my steak cooked, I say med rare and be served a well done piece of meat.  Like you, i would just prefer to serve that person meatloaf.  They would like it better then the steak probably?
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 03 Sep 2020

• On the topic of doneness - We had guests over for a steak dinner. I asked how they would like their steaks done just in case  someone wanted theirs blue.  I was appalled to hear well done. I just had to ask

No doubt needed the catsup to help give it some flavor and moisture so they could eat it.

I have slowly taught my GF that a steak and even pork chops are better if not cooked to death. I made strip steaks the other night took hers off around 140, the thicker part still had a pinkish center. She ate it an enjoyed it as much as she can, not a steak person. A while back i made one the way she wanted and I had her taste mine and I asked her how it was different. She said it is juicier and more tender than mine is. So now I cookk hers o the 138 to 142 area.
  • #11 by pmillen on 02 May 2022
  • I cooked one of these again for a few guests.  Two wanted their portions medium-well to well.  Since I slice and serve at the kitchen island, I just pan seared their slices to their liking.  One of them wanted steak sauce.  Everyone was happy.

Maybe this is a solution for those of you who are serving people who want their meat cooked more than you do.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 02 May 2022
  • I cooked one of these again for a few guests.  Two wanted their portions medium-well to well.  Since I slice and serve at the kitchen island, I just pan seared their slices to their liking. One of them wanted steak sauce.  Everyone was happy.

Maybe this is a solution for those of you who are serving people who want their meat cooked more than you do.

I have a friend that would kick you out of his house if you asked for Steak Sauce.  ;D
    I just use when making hamburger patties, just a little.
  • #13 by ylr on 02 May 2022

• Sure enough, well done was what they wanted. To add to my misery,

That's just wrong!!  I'm right there with you on that CJ.

Did you have Patrick Mahomes over for supper??  :rotf:
  • #14 by pmillen on 05 May 2022
  • I have a friend that would kick you out of his house if you asked for Steak Sauce.  ;D

I understand that mentality.  I used to be there on several issues.  Now—in my old age—I have taken the position that, when it comes to food and drink choices, people aren't wrong, they simply have different preferences.
Pages:
Actions