Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselback Potato Gratin  (Read 5024 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Hasselback Potato Gratin
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »

Sorry, I am shamelessly using the recipe section to store this recipe for use over the holidays (have not tried it, just saw it and it sounds yummy). Credit for the recipe goes to Executive Chef Sunny Jin of the Resort at Paw's Up.

INGREDIENTS

2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for baking dish
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 c. heavy cream
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
8 oz. Gruyère, grated (about 2 cups), divided
4 oz. Parmesan, grated (about 1 cup), divided
3 1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish. Combine onions, cream, garlic, thyme, rosemary, 1 2/3 cups Gruyère, and 2/3 cup Parmesan in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Arrange potato slices vertically in prepared baking dish. Pour cream mixture over potatoes, making sure some of the mixture goes between the potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake until potatoes start to soften, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake until potatoes are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Gruyère and 1/3 cup Parmesan. Bake until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 5 to 10 minutes.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Hasselback Potato Gratin
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »

A hasselback tip: When slicing the potatoes, use two chopsticks or other similar diameter items.  One behind, the other in front of the potato. These act as stops for the knife guarding against cut-thu while

maintaining an even spine.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »

A hasselback tip: When slicing the potatoes, use two chopsticks or other similar diameter items.  One behind, the other in front of the potato. These act as stops for the knife guarding against cut-thu while

maintaining an even spine.

;D  I was just telling my wife that (not with chop sticks, but just a couple thin pieces of wood) as I showed her Kristin's post.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 12:58:39 PM »

I think I saw that photo in a yahoo article about Christmas dishes that popped up for me to read this morning, but have not had a chance to yet.  The picture did peak my interest though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »

Looks great, does the cheese/cream/seasoning get down between the potato slices?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »

Does look good, but looks a lot like Scalloped to me, but that is also fine.  Easy to get the potatoes ready on the slicer, I am going to go out on a limb and say #4 setting!!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »

Looks great, does the cheese/cream/seasoning get down between the potato slices?

I gather it is supposed to since the recipe says to make sure some gets in between the slices.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »

Add a handful of garlic and my feet are under the table.  Looks great Kristin.  Thanks.   :clap:
Pages: [1]   Go Up