Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pig Jerky  (Read 1877 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Pig Jerky
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 05:57:18 AM »

Bought a whole loin, cut the front off to cure for a small ham, cut 3 chops out of it to make reubenray's chantilly taters. Don't ask about those. Sliced the rest of it across grain close 3/8" thick for jerky. had just under 5 pound once sliced.

0.25% Cure 1
2.5% Sea Salt
Eyeball Black Pepper. Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Chipotle Powder.

Dust and layer and then redust as i layered it in my container for the fridge, until all of my spice/cure mix was used.

4 days in the fridge.

In the Pit Boss Copperhead 7 with the Pellet Pro controller set on smoke. (It ran 150 to the highest I saw was 168) it was in for a little over 9 hours.

Taste is good, probably for a lot 2% salt would be good, I like the slightly salty taste. I usually add another layer of flavor once laid out on the rack but I tried a small piece as I was laying it out and thought it was good the way it was. It turned out good, could have had more heat but as you chew it makes itself known.

I have to ask what happened with the chantilly potatoes?

I started with 3 chops maybe an inch thick. Decided I was going to use a 1/4 steam pan. (Loaf pan size.) I put a layer of potatoes in and the chops discovered a 2.5" pan would not work. Could not find my 4 or 6" pans, so went to a 1/2 steam pan potatoes on bottom chops on one side layered with cheese in between to get 3 layers of potatoes. A pint of heavy cream. I did them in the counter top oven at 350 I covered with foil which may have helped lead to my issue. Uncovered for a while at the end. They came out very soupy/liquidy. So not sure what happened, maybe not enough evaporation in the beginning, I know there was probably more cheese than it called for. Next time I will use the 4 or 6" deep pan and will cut back the butter and the cream naturally because of the size of the pan, but maybe even a bit more. There were pools of grease (butter). The GF thought it was great and says I can make it again.

had a great week, 2 new dishes made and I got the go ahead to make them both again, the potatoes and chicken flautas. I had planned on taking a picture of the potatoes but decided not to.

My wife commented while eating ours's that we may cut back on the butter a little.  We will be moving in a month or so closer to my SIL who is big into canning.  We may experiment into canning our leftovers, being this recipe is a lot for just the two of us. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:00:18 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Pig Jerky
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »

[/quote]

My wife commented while eating ours's that we may cut back on the butter a little.  We will be moving in a month or so closer to my SIL who is big into canning.  We may experiment into canning our leftovers, being this recipe is a lot for just the two of us.
[/quote]

I was thinking as i was making it, canned potatoes would work well, use some SV chops or boneless chicken breast or thighs. I would SV chops to 140 and the chicken at 152 both for 4 hours. Then ice and toss in the fridge until I was ready to make it. Put it all together and smoke/bake until the meat came back to the SV temp. I will be trying it again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up