Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brine Cured Butt Ham  (Read 1385 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Brine Cured Butt Ham
« on: December 06, 2020, 08:37:53 PM »

Saw a boneless butt at Gordons the other week figured i would brine and cure make a ham.

Don't recall the weight, but mixed up a gallon of brine.

1 Gallon Water
1.5 T Cure 1
0.5 Cup Sea Salt
0.5 Cup Brown Sugar. usually use dark but only had light.
0.5 Cup White Sugar
 Mix well until dissolved, Injected as much as possible all over the butt after I incompetently tied it up. I put it in my pickle bucket and a water filled quart bag on top to weight it down. Lid on and in the garage fridge for probably about 5 weeks. I usually do at least 3 but was not sure when I wanted to make it.

Decided to have a friend of the GF's and his son over Saturday night for dinner so thought it would be a good time for the ham.

Rinsed off hit the outside with garlic and black pepper, into the little cookshack smokette for about 8 hours at 225°. Took it out 165 and foiled to rest while i finished up the buttered noodles and potatoes.

Very good, it could use more salt but I usually go low on salt as it does not like me at times. Store bought hams usually make my legs swell pretty bad. I had thought about tossing it in the oven on 450 to brown but the GF said it was okay the way it was. Not sure what happened to get the whitish spot. almost like cure did not get to it. This was a first for me getting that.

I use Pops Brine recipe with my measurement adjustments. I use less cure and cure it longer. I usually will do 2 or 3 of them and then pull them like you would for pulled pork, a nice change up. Just need to cook it to 200° plus.

Thought I would share this after the Cured Turkey thread.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Brine Cured Butt Ham
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »

looks good
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »

Looks tasty, I might have to give it a try.
Thanks for posting.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »

Yep.  I didn't know you could accomplish reduced salt curing by extending the time.  It's a good-looking result.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »

Yep.  I didn't know you could accomplish reduced salt curing by extending the time.  It's a good-looking result.

You don't really accomplish less salt it is more about using less cure and allowing it longer to cure. Salt is determined by the amount put in at the start. I believe Cure 1 in a brine is 4oz  1'2 cup to a gallon, I used 1.5T to the same gallon. so less than half, but I allow it to work longer than if I had used the 1/2 cup.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

That is really good looking. I have never cured a ham but I absolutely love the meat. Nicely done.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »

You don't really accomplish less salt it is more about using less cure and allowing it longer to cure. Salt is determined by the amount put in at the start. I believe Cure 1 in a brine is 4oz  1'2 cup to a gallon, I used 1.5T to the same gallon. so less than half, but I allow it to work longer than if I had used the 1/2 cup.

Ummmm, I didn’t mean salt as in table salt.  I was thinking of salts as in the chemists’ terminology.

Table salt is sodium chloride (NaCl).  Cure 1 is sodium nitrite (NaNO2).  To a chemist, it is also a salt.

It’s sodium that people are generally instructed to reduce for health reasons.  But it’s common for physicians to simply say, “Reduce your salt consumption.”  They generally mean table salt because it’s the most common sodium source in our diets.

Sorry that I often write in such a confusing manner.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 09:18:27 PM »

Ummmm, I didn’t mean salt as in table salt.  I was thinking of salts as in the chemists’ terminology.

Table salt is sodium chloride (NaCl).  Cure 1 is sodium nitrite (NaNO2).  To a chemist, it is also a salt.

It’s sodium that people are generally instructed to reduce for health reasons.  But it’s common for physicians to simply say, “Reduce your salt consumption.”  They generally mean table salt because it’s the most common sodium source in our diets.

Sorry that I often write in such a confusing manner.

Sorry I am not that smart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up