Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pizza Thread  (Read 50821 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: The Pizza Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »

Makes me hungry!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »

Surprisingly, initial feedback from my buddy was that he enjoyed the Pizza Hut Detroit style pizza.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »

We agree the new Detroit Style is good, not great but pretty good for a chain.
A few pictures.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »

Pepperoni pizza for lunch.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 08:34:05 PM »

In Chicago for the weekend. Great pizza. Some of the best I've had.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »

O2 I wish I had some of that pizza for dinner right now.

FMT, so more of a "thin" crust for Chicago?  More of that type pizza and many more who like it then I thought in Chicago!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »

O2 I wish I had some of that pizza for dinner right now.

FMT, so more of a "thin" crust for Chicago?  More of that type pizza and many more who like it then I thought in Chicago!

Yes. It was a typical Neapolitan New York hybrid that is common in most cities these days. Puffy rim like Neapolitan but nice crisp on the bottom like New York.  Not completely different than others I've had or even my own, but done very very well.

If I'm being honest with myself I would say mine usually comes in at the same level or close to most restaurants of the same type pizza. This was a couple notches above.

The mushroom with truffle cream sauce was very unique and delicious. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 09:05:00 PM »

That style of pizza is not very common in Chicago.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »

That style of pizza is not very common in Chicago.

Depends on where you go. Maybe not at the places most people have heard of the most, but most of the general italian restaurants that I've been to that don't necessarily specialize in pizza seem to serve this or similar styles.

My wife and I are big italian fans, especially places with homemade pasta. Homemade pasta would be my death bed meal. Nearly every time we go, I seek out a new italian restaurant to try.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 09:28:58 PM »

This is the style I was accustomed to eating in Chicagoland.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »

That looks like bar style.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »

That looks like bar style.

It was labeled as thin crust although the top of the crust is a bit gooey.  The bottom of the crust is not a cracker style, but does form a hardened bottom with usually corn meal on it.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »

It was labeled as thin crust although the top of the crust is a bit gooey.  The bottom of the crust is not a cracker style, but does form a hardened bottom with usually corn meal on it.

Bar style is a thin crust, but is cut in squares like the one you showed rather that pie slice.
I'm guessing here, but I think the purpose of cutting like that is for it to be more of a snack pizza in a bar, rather than a meal.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »

Bar style is a thin crust, but is cut in squares like the one you showed rather that pie slice.
I'm guessing here, but I think the purpose of cutting like that is for it to be more of a snack pizza in a bar, rather than a meal.

I think that is part of it. The other part is that they usually have quite a bit of heavy cheese on a pretty thin crust. There is no way the crust would hold up if you tried to lift a whole slice.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »

I really never made fresh dough pizzas, there is a small Italian market that makes prebaked crusts, I would pick up a few of those. After watching the Vito guy on Youtube I would  like to try it.

I see him always baking on a stone but he is always making the same kind of pizza.

Can pizzas be done on a pan or better to bake on a steel or stone? I may have a stone here somewhere. Think of trying to set something up in my gas grill possibly if I need to cook on a stone or steel.

Next question is is pizza dough pretty much the same just treated differently when it comes time to make it, like his Neopolpitin (probably spelled wrong) dough could be used to make a regular type of pizza with out the big puffy crust ring, if I just work the air to the out side a little more?

I know I have pans and even a couple of screens here, pans are all solid not perforated.

I would like the pizzas he makes, but the people I cook for not so much, they usually don't eat the outside edge crust and just the auce a small amount of cheese and Oh the green stuff why did you put that on there? So I would be looking to make a more traditional pepperoni type like you would get from the Hut or a bar.

Edit to add another important question to those in the know.

Flour, I did see where Vito did a pizza with Gold Medal AP flour and dry yeast. Both of which I have. I noticed the finished product was not as airy as his other cooks. Could be the temps as it was cooked in the house oven instead of the higher temp pizza oven or it was the flour itself.

So do I need to find different or special flour? I see he uses Semolina for his final stretching and shaping, do I need to find that also?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 05:56:40 PM by BigDave83 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38   Go Up