Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pizza Thread  (Read 51183 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: The Pizza Thread
« Reply #345 on: March 25, 2022, 02:01:37 PM »

I have never frozen cheese. Does it change much from freezing?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2022, 02:22:48 PM »

None that I have noticed.  We freeze lots of cheese.
It's our afternoon snack.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »

We freeze tons of cheese.  Almost every 8oz shredded bag we buy at the store gets frozen.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2022, 06:15:00 PM »

We have never frozen any cheese, we read somewhere it doesn’t shred well (chunky) is that not an issue?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »

I have not shredded it often after being frozen, but had no issues.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »

Block cheese does tend to get crumbly when frozen, so it's harder to shred. However the pre shredded stuff freezes just fine. We don't go through it all that fast, but typically buy the big bags on price, so bags live in the freezer.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #351 on: March 26, 2022, 02:22:24 PM »

Today's pizza - Sausage, Mushroom, and Onion.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #352 on: March 26, 2022, 02:41:22 PM »

I like a pizza with a lot of toppings.  Some places seem to throw only a few pieces of toppings on the pie.  I like having something on every bite.  Nice work.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #353 on: March 26, 2022, 02:54:12 PM »

Thanks.  I don't like to go more that 3 different toppings, but I do like to cover completely.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »

Another great looking pizza.

Side question. I picked up some shredded pizza blend at gordons. I can't tell in the picture did you vac seal or just put in quart freezer bags. I picked up a #10 can of pizza sauce I may try freezing it or canning it in pint jars.

I sent the GF over for a couple slices a Sam's. Walking around in there for an hour or so makes you hungry. 2 bucks a slice they were as big as a 10 or 11" plate. All meat topping, canadian bacon, bacon, pepperoni, sasuage.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2022, 03:59:42 AM »

Cheese definitely holds up better when vacsealed before being frozen.

Gordon's has plastic containers just like you get at the supermarket deli. Several different sizes with universal lids. I use those things for everything. The small size is perfect for a couple pizzas worth of sauce. Medium is good for several pizzas. I freeze sauce in those containers and it works great.

They also are the best for keeping my starter going. Just use a clean one each day and throw the dirty in the dishwasher. Dried dough comes off of plastic soooo much easier than glass.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2022, 09:11:41 AM »

I have a chamber sealer that I could vac seal sauce in bags. The only bad thing with chamber over  most suction machines that I see is on the suction one most have a seal now button that stops the vacuuming and seals the bag. With the chamber I have not figured out a way to do that. If I want things not crushed so tight I lower the vacuum time fro 30 seconds to 12-15. Of course there is probably more air left in with the lower time.

That was my concern with vacuuming pre shredded cheese, it coming out as one big lump.

thank you for the advice.

I will look for the containers next time I go. I don't go often, I picked up a couple bags of flour and a few things yesterday. The GF said that is the cheapest she has ever seen us leave there. $93 We made up for it and then some at Sams though.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »

I put the sauce in zip-lock bags (enough for one pizza) then place them on a baking sheet and flatten them out so they will take less room in freezer.
Freeze them and then next day I vacuum seal them two in a bag.
Since we have pizza once a week, the sauce for the second one will be fine in the fridge for a week.
In that picture I posted several posts back, the sauce was removed from the vacuum seal bag before I thought to take a picture.
I cut open the cheese too so the vacuum doesn't turn into a clump as it softens.
Don't go through full process of removing air for cheese as to avoid clumping it together.  Just remove about 80-90% of the air, then hit the seal button.
I have  a couple FoodSaver sealers so being able to hit the seal button and stop the vacuuming process is a plus.

I have a bunch of those Deli containers. Bought them from Amazon primarily for use when guest want to take something home.
I have avoided using most containers as you get ice crystals in them.

Tony, do those seal well enough to keep the ice crystals from forming ?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:24:19 AM by 02ebz06 »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2022, 10:29:34 AM »

I use those deli containers for soups to freeze. Those things seal so tight I sometimes have a hard time opening them.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2022, 12:08:04 PM »

I use those deli containers for soups to freeze. Those things seal so tight I sometimes have a hard time opening them.

I have some FoodSaver containers that you can vacuum seal for soups, casseroles, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38   Go Up