Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pizza Thread  (Read 50816 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: The Pizza Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 04:25:46 AM »

That looks good.

How do you cook yours?

I am going to give it a shot tomorrow, using the gas grill and a stone, I was looking for a way to box the stone so it held heat above but couldn't find anything today that I thought I could make work. I made the starter or poolish, I think it is called his morning. will get up and finish it off in the morning. Using AP flour as i was not able o find anything else at the places I stopped today. The little Mennonite store up the road from me has what looks to be every brand and type of flour made except 00. I stopped at the Italian market and they did not have any either, there were some empty spots, I did find Semolina. I mainly stopped to buy some pre-baked crusts in case my dough is a bust.

Chances are if you are cooking on a grill with a stone that the bottom will be done while the top is still a little blonde. All grills are different. Crust is different, etc so maybe not.

If it happens though, one trick is to pull the pizza off the grill when the bottom is done and stick it under the broiler for a few seconds to finish off the top.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

How do you cook yours?

I have a pizza oven. I cook NY style with deck temp in the 500f-700f range.  450f will work too.
On the few occasions that I have made Neapolitan, deck temp was over 850f.
Takes a lot of wood and time to get the temp that high.

I have yet to try making a pizza with a poolish.
Let us know how that works.

Made a sourdough pizza once, 7-8 years ago. Came out OK.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »

The first try at pizza  with home made dough. I did make stromboli the other week with dough I made but it was different dough compared to this.

The pizza tasted good, dough did not get crisp on the outer crust, but the bottom was like I had hoped. I  used a 15" pizza stone on a 3 burner gas grill, the temp in the lid thermometer was at 600ish most of the time. I will build a box or something over the stone if we do this again.

I shredded some mozzarella and provolone, used just a jarred sauce I added some Italian seasoning and a bit of olive oil to.

We made 2 with pre baked crust I bought. No pictures of those, but the difference in taste and texture was very different as I expected.

The recipe i used from the video, the guy said make each ball 280ish grams. He ended up with 5 balls of dough and I am confused how I could get five balls 280 each when I only put about 1000 grams into it. The dough gave me fits in the beginning just sticking to everything, I left it rest for about 20 minutes, it was still sticky but I think all of the messing around with it just ruined it to a point. Not sure how you folks get them round, I made 2 plus I tried to spread and stretch one out for a thinner crust and baked it on a pan. Someone else made one that he ended up just balling up and starting over, his pizza was about 6 or 7 inches kind of round but very thick. His son made one that was pretty decent looking but he worked at it for 20 minutes to get it that way. Someone was to bring a peel because I didn't have one but they forgot, so i used an upside down pizza pan, the lip on the edge gave  me fits trying to get it on to the pan and then it would stick to the pan in usually only one little spot just too be difficult.

It was fun experiment I learned a few things, and if we do it again I may fire up the big stand mixer to do the dough. I like the recipe,  from what I gather it was 70% hydration. 400 grams of water plus 400 of flour with 2.5 dry yeast, 5 sugar (i didn't have honey) for the poolish then another 180 grams flour and 15 of salt.

If anyone would want to share a recipe that they think may be better for a newbie I would gladly accept  the challenge.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »

Looks pretty tasty.   :clap:
Great first attempt!

Stretching takes some practice.
Google "pizza dough stretching".
There are different techniques, find one that works for you.

There are pizza oven kits for some grills. Not sure what kind you have or if one is available for it.

I use a basic NY style I can post if you want.  No poolish involved.
It is for a 3 day cold ferment in fridge.

Brown rice flour is pretty good for dusting the peel with to prevent sticking.
When I'm ready to stretch my dough, I dump it in to a container of flour (one side only).
Take it out, dust off excess, and put on your stretching board.
That helps prevent sticking as well.

Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »

I would eat everyone of those!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »

I would eat everyone of those!

We did, only had 5 balls of dough that is why we dug into the pre baked crusts.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2021, 08:40:19 PM »

Looks pretty tasty.   :clap:
Great first attempt!

Stretching takes some practice.
Google "pizza dough stretching".
There are different techniques, find one that works for you.

There are pizza oven kits for some grills. Not sure what kind you have or if one is available for it.

I use a basic NY style I can post if you want.  No poolish involved.
It is for a 3 day cold ferment in fridge.

Brown rice flour is pretty good for dusting the peel with to prevent sticking.
When I'm ready to stretch my dough, I dump it in to a container of flour (one side only).
Take it out, dust off excess, and put on your stretching board.
That helps prevent sticking as well.

well the GF said we will be doing this again. So a 3 day ferment could be easily done, so if you would like o share your recipe or a link I would appreciate it. I liked the Brick cheese idea. I love a good salty brick cheese. The GF is not a fan of the big crust at the end, she said this wasn't bad as it was not heavy but kind of soft, but would prefer the outer crust be smaller.

I will look for some videos, most of the ones I have watched were from Vito Iacopelli, (probably spelled that wrong) he makes it look easy, as did a few others I had seen. I need to find some sort of dough board, I don't have empty counter space to use. I used a plastic/nylon cutting board today. I did the first part of the dough on the kitchen table. I used semolina for the stretching and on the tray to try to keep it from sticking.  I was surprised that after the 4 hours of rest after I made balls, that they were still fairly sticky once I started to work them out. I will look for the brown rice flour also.

I did see some of the kits, my grill is 16 or 17 deep, I did measure it the  other day. I will look again when i search for a peel.

thank you for your time and advice, really appreciate it.

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2021, 09:08:48 PM »

Hey Dave, if your looking for a board this might work. https://www.amazon.com/Bethany-Housewares-Pastry-Board-Cloth/dp/B000810A7O I have one but have only used it for lefse and it works great.
FE PG 1000

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2021, 05:23:57 AM »

Those all look pretty good. The shaping thing, like most things in life, just takes practice. Almost everyone's first pizzas look something like those. After awhile, it becomes second nature and you won't understand what was so hard about it. I could make 25 pizzas in a row look nearly identical, but I've made probably 1000's of pizzas by now.

Much of it comes with dough development as well.  The better you get at making dough and having an understanding of what is happening at certain times through it's development, the easier it will be to open the dough ball. Dough with a strong gluten network that has been mixed to the proper stage will pretty much just fall into it's shape for you with very little effort.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »

well the GF said we will be doing this again. So a 3 day ferment could be easily done, so if you would like o share your recipe or a link I would appreciate it. I liked the Brick cheese idea. I love a good salty brick cheese. The GF is not a fan of the big crust at the end, she said this wasn't bad as it was not heavy but kind of soft, but would prefer the outer crust be smaller.

I will look for some videos, most of the ones I have watched were from Vito Iacopelli, (probably spelled that wrong) he makes it look easy, as did a few others I had seen. I need to find some sort of dough board, I don't have empty counter space to use. I used a plastic/nylon cutting board today. I did the first part of the dough on the kitchen table. I used semolina for the stretching and on the tray to try to keep it from sticking.  I was surprised that after the 4 hours of rest after I made balls, that they were still fairly sticky once I started to work them out. I will look for the brown rice flour also.

I did see some of the kits, my grill is 16 or 17 deep, I did measure it the  other day. I will look again when i search for a peel.

thank you for your time and advice, really appreciate it.

You can get a small bag of Brown Rice flour at any grocery store that sells Bob's Red Mill flours.
It doesn't absorb water as quickly as regular flour.

Some people use these for stretching their dough:
https://www.wayfair.com/Tableboards--Tableboards-Maple-Wood-Reversible-Pastry-Board-PBB1-L187-K~TBX1013.html?refid=GX490221400310-TBX1013&device=c&ptid=910174385964&network=g&targetid=pla-910174385964&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=126490886&fdid=1817&gclid=CjwKCAiAhbeCBhBcEiwAkv2cY7cEYCy9Q0L1SRmQM2cGr9u33dRU7DbPWcUrJDYg0K4oOVgEftHeHBoCmQAQAvD_BwE

I have a piece of Corian I use.

Something made of wood is probably the best.

Below is the recipe I have been using.
There is a fermentation prediction model on the Pizza Making forum.
I reduced the yeast below to match the model.
The reason for doing that was I was getting a giant bubble on the dough ball and that is an indication of over proofing.

Didn't know how many pizzas you make at a time, so I set it do you can make 1 or 2, you can do the math to make as many as you want.

EDIT:  The Sugar and Diastatic Malt Powder help with browning if you are using a 00 flour.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:10:24 PM by 02ebz06 »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »

I cam to share that I am doing a King Arthur Neapolitan 00 dough that requires only 1/8 tsp yeast (very skeptical) and is to rise at room temperature for 24 hours.  The interesting thing is, I forgot to use 00 and went right to the AP.  Never even dawned on me till I started to make this post.

We have an On the Go RV water softener that we use for the Spa.  I swore I was going to use that water to make the dough and as usual, remember that now too!

So I am going to get up, go get the soft water and make some with 00!  I wonder in NY City is soft or hard?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:36:02 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »

It should be fine with that yeast amount. The really nice thing I figured out about the low yeast doughs is that your window for doing multiple pizzas is so much longer. The dough I've been making lately has very little yeast. It sits in the fridge for 2 days then I take it out about 4 to 5 hours before cooking. I cooked 8 pizzas in a row recently and pizza 1 was nearly identical to pizza 8. A recipe with alot of yeast isn't that consistent. By the time pizza 8 comes along (assuming 1 at a time), the dough is overproofed.

I always wondered how pizza places had their dough at room temp for so long. I believe this is the trick.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »

I have one but have only used it for lefse and it works great.

You make lefse!  Good for you.  Do you also make rosettes?  You should talk with Marcia (daughter of Norwegian immigrants).

She lost contact with all of her lefse and rosette making pals when we moved from Fargo.  Scandinavians are an ethnic minority here in Omaha.  But she stays with it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 09:57:40 PM »

I have one but have only used it for lefse and it works great.

You make lefse!  Good for you.  Do you also make rosettes?  You should talk with Marcia (daughter of Norwegian immigrants).

She lost contact with all of her lefse and rosette making pals when we moved from Fargo.  Scandinavians are an ethnic minority here in Omaha.  But she stays with it.

Good for Marcia. Glad to hear she has stayed with it.

I don't make rosettes but do like them. And sandbakkels and lutifisk. Have Norwegian relatives and a lot of others where i live.

No Scandinavian in me but I sure do enjoy the food. Lefse is great with  some butter on it. Best potato ever.
FE PG 1000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »

Sausage and pepperoni today.
Our kitchen sucks for taking pictures. Have two skylights that wash out the pictures.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Up