Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gridiron direct seer option  (Read 1801 times)

keithj69

• Using less gas.
Gridiron direct seer option
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:56 PM »

I got the direct seer option in the other day and have been messing with it for the last 3 days. 
They list on the site the following options:

12 Gauge Drip Tray
    12 Gauge Cover
    Handle
    Additional Hopper-side Heat Shield
    3 pack of aluminum GrillGrates with Cleaning Tool

On the firebox cover, they added a lip that is about 1/3 of the circle on the right side.  I'll get some pictures when I do a ash clean up.

I have taken out the angle iron i used to block airflow at the right side of the grill and also the firebricks.  Still have the c-13 custom set.  I do have comp shelves and the downdraft in place still.

Right now the grill is set to 240° with 2 half racks of ribs on a half shelf just above the main grate.   Currently the left side is 239° and the right side is 240.2°.   I did a rack of ribs yesterday and i never saw over a 5-10° difference l-r for very long.  It was really windy here yesterday so i am hoping to see better temps today as it is calm.

I haven't played with the direct seer yet as I am still testing temps.

All I can say is if you have an older Gridiron and you have been fighting left/right temp differences, this new redesign should help fix those issues.
One piece of advice if you want to order, ask how long it will take to get it delivered. They were having some issues and mine took forever.  But I am happy to have waited.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:48:39 PM by keithj69 »
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Gridiron direct seer option
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »

Right now the grill is set to 240° with 2 half racks of ribs on a half shelf just above the main grate.   Currently the left side is 239° and the right side is 240.2°.

That's exceptional temperature performance.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:05:31 PM »

Good info.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »

Here is the fireboard shared info on this cook.  I'll leave the link up for a day or 3.    https://share.fireboard.io/EB1742

edit.  I foiled the cover plate because it has a hole on the cover for the handle to take it off.  using as a way to block any excess heat escaping.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:11:46 PM by keithj69 »

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »

Great info. The sear kit looks like a winner but i'll wait for your review...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »

I'm on my third test cook and can honestly say that i cannot believe what these parts have done to level things.  This week I am going to use a full shelf and cook a brisket flat.  Fingers crossed for similar results.

I was really close to selling the grill due to the hassle of the temp difference.  If these tests work out, I will be really happy in my investment.  Just sad that i had to pay extra to get to this level.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:51:42 PM by keithj69 »

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

Here is the cook for the spatchcocked chicken I bought today from BJ's.   https://share.fireboard.io/056E3A

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »

Not going to lie.  I am really happy with the new parts.  As I said, i wish i haven't had to pay to get the improved performance.  But it is cheaper than a new grill.  Making me interested in cooking again.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »

Excellent and informative report. That has to be the epitome of even cooking temperatures.

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »

This is the new fire pot cover.   The lip is one inch.  I measured the height difference of the installed covers and the new one sits about 1/4 inch higher now. 
In the cleaning there seems to be more ash accumulating closer to where the cover hinge system is at.  Noticed that there also isn't as much ash in the chamber as in past cooks.  These cooks have been lumberjack pellets.   I have some B&B maple i am going to transition into a 4.5 lb brisket flat cook tomorrow.  I said I was going to use the full shelve, but I am to lazy to clean it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:40:02 PM by keithj69 »

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »

I solved the same problem with this. I was able to adjust the heat distribution by sliding the diffuser to left or right of center. Worked fine. Still have it if someone wants it. Easy to dismantle and ship. I also noted that the round dome design, directs the flames downward, and overheated the bottom, causing loss of paint. Vermiculite helped that before I made the deflector mod. 3/16" SS.

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 04:51:55 PM »

After a couple of slow and low cooks and one cook of chicken wings that ended with a high heat run,  my feelings on this sear kit is it is well worth the money.   
If you still want to use the gridiron and have fought those wild temp swings side to side,  the sear kit and i feel also the downdraft mod has made this grill what it was advertised to be years ago. 
With the thickness of the new steel added to the system, the heat recovery time is much better/quicker.  Enough that the grill will overshoot a couple of extra degrees.

With the downdraft mod, I barely have the vent open.  Maybe a 1/4 inch open.
Still haven't used the sear option as I was more into seeing what the grill would do at low temps.
One thing i forgot is I have the lid insulator also, so add that into the mix of things on the grill.
I did mess with the c-13 settings and adjusted as the grill was off just a bit after previous tuning.  Not much, it was actually running cooler in the chamber vs what the grill thought.
All my testing has been on the second level with the thermometers on the cooking level.  i have been using the half rack set in the middle.

Now it is time to unleash this renewed beast on the family and friends and start making them some kick butt Q.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:59:04 PM by keithj69 »

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »

Great review! Next will be how the sear kit works...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"
Pages: [1]   Go Up