Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 17 Mar 2021
  • I have been buying high quality locally ground 85%/15% beef for burgers, pressing them out into about 1/3lb patties, and then vacuum freezing them in twos until needed. Have always defrosted them first so I could preseason them, then grilled on my Bullseye or 590. Have been told it is easier to just throw them on frozen.
    I found 85/15 sirloin burgers at Costco, 1/3 lb 18 patties frozen, separated and vacuum sealed in groups of 2 (there are just two of us home). Sooooo  what is the best way to do that and get good grilling and seasoning?  Is it just as good? We like em with no pink.  ??
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Mar 2021
  • I cook them at 250-275 for an hour
  • #3 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2021
  • I always found fresh or frozen pretty much the same time.  Maybe 1 minute more per side for frozen.  I am a high heat grill guy, so unit on high, burgers on frozen for about 5 minutes.  Flip, season, put cheese on when 145°, usually about 4 more minutes.  About a minute for cheese to melt, pull and eat.  No pink.

I put cheese on at 125°, and do the same, but I want medium burger! 
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 18 Mar 2021
  • I am a medium to high heat burger cooker also. I think burgers are meant to be a quick easy meal. I have tossed them in the smoker to heat up and then just finish them on a hot grill or griddle when having to feed a lot of people.

For frozen I agree not a lot of difference in cook time, especially if they are pre made patties and not thicker hand formed.

Toss them on frozen and season the tops, the seasoning will stick and the heat thaws it out then season other side after the flip. You could also season the meat before making the patties. I do that at times and just salt when i cook, leaving the salt out of the seasoning I put in.

If you do a lot of burger making, one of these is nice to have, you get consistent burgers as long as you take time to weigh out the balls of meat. I have the 5" version an can do 80z burgers but 7 seems to work better for max weight. Once you get down to 3 to 4 oz  it is just to thin to work well with the 5". I need to find a 4" set up that will fit it. I don't have this brand but it looks identical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zica-5-inch-Commercial-Burger-Press-Hamburger-Patty-Maker-Heavy-Duty-Meat-Former/203288792399?hash=item2f54f4cd4f:g:H~cAAOSwhgtgNxGg
  • #5 by okie smokie on 18 Mar 2021
  • My burger press is two dinner plates and wax paper.  Works great and results in any thickness I desire.  Most of time 1/2" or less. Price of this unit is just right, as the dishes are 35 years old. However, the patties I bought at Costco are already pressed, and frozen and near 1/2". They are a little large at 1/3 lb. but end up about large bun sized. Meat quality is good. I like Bentley's method. Put em on frozen and just cook a little longer. I suspect seasoning while cooking will be just fine, although I usually like to have it on about 15 minutes earlier so it can sink thru. I use Worchesteshire with SP.  Will give it a try soon and record results. Thanks all.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 18 Mar 2021
  • I put my seasoning in the meat before I freeze the patties.
  • #7 by pmillen on 18 Mar 2021
  • I put frozen patties the grates—the temperature is ≈350°F—and cook them until I see juices on the surface.  I've never timed it, but I suspect it's five or six minutes.  Then I flip them for four minutes.  No pink.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 18 Mar 2021
  • I put frozen patties the grates—the temperature is ≈350°F—and cook them until I see juices on the surface.  I've never timed it, but I suspect it's five or six minutes.  Then I flip them for four minutes.  No pink.
    Both you and Bentley. I'm a believer.
  • #9 by ylr on 18 Mar 2021
  • I've cooked frozen patties on a George Foreman with good success.
  • #10 by urnmor on 18 Mar 2021
  • As your burgers are already vacuum sealed you could always SV them to your desired temp.  It will just take longer frozen.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 18 Mar 2021
  • As your burgers are already vacuum sealed you could always SV them to your desired temp.  It will just take longer frozen.
    There is wax paper inside the vac sealed patties. No SV.  However, next time could remove the wax paper before vac. sealing. Then all you would have to do is sear em and serve em. Might be a whole new taste profile there.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 25 Mar 2021
  • Did frozen 1/3 lb burgers 85/15 on the Bullseye last night. They turned out perfect. No more defrosting for me, no mess. More moisture left in the final product.
Pages:
Actions