Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I had to make some BB Bacon.  (Read 2926 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
I had to make some BB Bacon.
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »

The recent thread by CloneSmoker, made me want to make some Buckboard bacon. I had not done it for quite a few years.

I always did Tenderquick and Dark brown sugar previously. This time I did and EQ cure 0.25% Cure 1  2.5% salt and 2% sugar (white). I did this back on 2.10.21 and sealed it up stashed in the garage fridge. I remembered it last week and got it out, cut a small piece and tasted it for salt, it was good to me, so I put in the fridge on a rack over night. Put it in the cookshack electric smoker at 180° with some apple and cherry chips until it hit 140°. Cooled a bit then wrapped in plastic wrap and back in the fridge over night.

Sliced a few pieces to make for breakfast on Sunday morning with some sausages and eggs. This was much better than my previous batches using Tenderquick, TQ seemed to always taste more like thin sliced ham than bacon. This was far more of a bacon flavor than ham, I will do it this way again next time to see if I get the same results. This may be my new way, I may lower the salt some as the GF thought it was salty. I did not rinse it off and what I cut was the end, so maybe the next cook if she doesn't mention it it will give me the information if I need to lower the salt.

First pic is before cure, second is after cure and out of the bag ready for the fridge, third is right out of the smoker, fourth is Sunday slices and fifth is the first try.

It was curing for about 37 days, since I forgot about it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: I had to make some BB Bacon.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 10:05:37 PM »

I can't figure out how you guys get your butts so uniform!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »

I can't figure out how you guys get your butts so uniform!

I forget if this was boneless or bone in. I usually just come right behind the bone and cut it straight down. Now I have the coppa part the part with I think they call it the money muscle. Then cut it in half from the left to right. This one my cutting was off and I ended up with a pretty flat piece and a thicker piece, the one I cut. I then just bone out the left over and it is something I like to smoke for a few hours then toss in the instant pot for 35 minutes, with a bit of sauce and the liquid left over from smoking them. I may go get a couple more and give it another shot, the GF wants me to make some for her nieces, because they like bacon. The bonus is it is cheap and if they don't like it more for me.

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »

Looks great. We just started our third ever batch of bacon a week ago. We're still experimenting a bit with cure recipes. This time it was one 9# belly cut in two to try a couple of different cures. They'll be going into the smoker this weekend. My wife was panicking because we'd run out of the second batch right when the smoker went on the fritz. But we're back in action now.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

Mighty good!  Just wish you folks would stop teasing me with such tantalizing photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up