Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much time on Ebay. Just ordered Meater Plus  (Read 1114 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Too much time on Ebay. Just ordered Meater Plus
« on: May 26, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »

Finally fell for it. The Meater plus now gives you 165 ft range instead of 33 ft.  They appear smaller than original and have a very good approval rate.  $84 on Ebay plus I bought the 2 year warranty for $7.99.  Decided that they have survived the "new gadget" test of time and decided that it would be nice to have the App that goes with it.  No wires, and info that lets you remove the meat when it is at the desired doneness. Will see how the learning curve is.  Their main other competitor Meat Stik brags that theirs is water proof and can be submerged as in sous vide, but the users have a one star rating of 20% on it.  Thats a no no for me. Meater is not submersible but no need for me. Just being careful at cleaning.  Now I can monitor on my B380 without wires.  High temp range for meat is 212 and ambient is 560. Should be just fine since I would not use temps above 500 usually. Will have to see if temps higher might damage.  ?? Comments?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Too much time on Ebay. Just ordered Meater Plus
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »

I am in the opposite mode right now.  I found a bag with several Mavericks and other remote thermometers in it in my garage this week.  I am going to give them to some friends that are just starting out BBQing.

I have 2 Thermoworks Smoke with the wifi gateway, carrying case, two probes, and one probe cable extender that I am selling at a steep discount.  I upgraded the firmware last night with the help of Thermoworks on a chat on both gateway units.  One of the packages is sold to a friend and I am going to hook it up to his network this weekend and show him how to use it.  I am shopping around the other package to some friends of friends to see if they want to buy it.

I don't use it anymore.  I bought the Signals with the 4 probes when it came out and have yet to use it.  I will probably get around to it, but won't need any more than that.

We've been in the house for 6 years now so I am starting to look to sell, donate, give away or throw out a bunch of stuff in my garage, on my patio, and in our storage room in the basement.  Probably a good time to be friends or family with me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »

I believe if used within the published guidelines there should be minimal to no issues. As anything mechanical or electrical, there are limits.  The problem arises when we try and do things relative to an

established pattern not adapting to the new.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »

I had no idea what it was until I googled it.  Looks convenient.
I assume there is a battery or two in it that have to be replaced periodically.
Pricey for one probe, but to be expected with WIFI in it.
Do they say how accurate they are?

I just took the flat of a brisket off the grill, point is is still in the grill.
I use the ThermoWorks Smoke.
Had probes of one unit in the point and flat, and a probe from another to monitor grill overnight.

You probably won't be able to get away with having just one.
I'm sure you'll find a need for more.  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:44:36 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:38 AM »

I enjoy mine.  I have the single probe.  I use it with butts and briskets and use the Maverick for everything else.  I used them both at first and they were within a degree of each other the whole time.  It takes a AAA battery and the probe charges off of that when it's in the wood block.  I've had it about a year and half and haven't had to changed the battery yet.  Of course, now I will since I said that.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »

Funny battery story.  My wife bought a Shark vacuum cleaner that has a rechargeable battery.  Her Mom bought one, she bought one for my Mom and her daughter, several of her cousins and aunts bought one, etc. when they were on sale.  My wife's battery died about 3 months ago.  Within weeks, everyone else had a dead battery.  They all had to buy replacement batteries.  I thought it was funny how they all had the same shelf life.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »

Funny battery story.  My wife bought a Shark vacuum cleaner that has a rechargeable battery.  Her Mom bought one, she bought one for my Mom and her daughter, several of her cousins and aunts bought one, etc. when they were on sale.  My wife's battery died about 3 months ago.  Within weeks, everyone else had a dead battery.  They all had to buy replacement batteries.  I thought it was funny how they all had the same shelf life.

Most likely a "design feature"  so they can project how many batteries they will sell each year.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:31:54 AM »

Most likely a "design feature"  so they can project how many batteries they will sell each year.

Some other family member just bought one within the last few days.  My wife and her cousin joked that they need to tell them to put a reminder on their calendar for 3 years (or however long it was) in the future that they will need a new battery.

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »

Meater charge battery is one 3A. Said to last 100 charges. No big deal there. As for the battery inside the Meater, it is supposed to last a long time. I did pay$7.99 to get the extended 2 year warranty.  Amazing the tech we are getting from those little gray men with the big heads and eyes.  Can't wait to get it and test it out. One caution, is that when used on my B380 I will have to keep the ambient down below 560 to avoid damage.  I have an accurate grill thermometer for that so no problem.  Have done many a steak at below 500 with good results. We shall see.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »

I backed the original kickstarter campaign, and waited, and waited, and waited then guess what happened, yes I waited some more. By the time they got here I had kind of forgot about them. Still in the box someplace.

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »

The new Plus model with the booster in the charger block is what sold me. I have about 3k sq ft. inside but on a small lot as well. So it should cover me well. The original when you closed the grill or oven gives you 3 or 4 feet. They have lowered the price for that unit to around $50 +-. 

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »

I have the Meater+ block and another stand alone probe. I love them. They work great and the app interface is good. I think you will like it.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 04:53:49 PM »

I have the Meater+ block and another stand alone probe. I love them. They work great and the app interface is good. I think you will like it.
Nice thing is that I can use anywhere, and not have to have wires and extra receiver to carry.  Will be nice for cook outs elsewhere, and on cooks that require movement of meat in and out without having to pull and replace probe. Thanks for the info.

okie smokie

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 10:35:29 PM »

Got it this PM. Surprised the USPS delivered it today at 8 PM. No other mail service this Memorial day. Got email on iPhone that it was in the mail box.  Go figure. Charging the probe, takes 4 hrs. so will have to program with the App tomorrow.  Neat clean little box charger made from hard pressed bamboo. One 3A battery good for 100 uses. Probe is good for 24 hrs with one charge. Now that is cheap use! With WiFi I can follow from anywhere on the planet (with a signal of course). Will do a thick eye of ribeye tomorrow for first test.   :cool:

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »

Set up was easy. So I did a reverse sear 2 inch thick prime center cut sirloin tonight. No pics. Smoked at 225-250 for 1hr 10 minutes until temp at 130* then pulled the steak and let it sit out, for 10 minutes both to cool it down, and also time to heat my 12 inch cast iron fry pan in the B380 turned up to riot mode. When the pan got to 470* (the pit was up to 750*), with some avocado oil (smoke point at about 500*), I put the steak back on for 1 minute on each side. Got good crust effect. Let sit for 5 minutes while the veggies were being served. Got a perfect Medium in the middle. One of the best we have ever had. The smoke effect made it entirely different from our usual method both in texture and taste.  Had grilled orange bell pepper with onions, and the left over potatoes, onions, carrots and shrooms from the pot roast cook. The Meater worked exactly as promised, and was easy to set up.  I removed it after finished smoking, so as not to expose to the searing heat. After searing, the steak came off at 140*.  Gonna do it again soon with prime tenderloin. Will get all the pics with that one.   :clap:
Pages: [1]   Go Up