Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 25 May 2021
  • I guess we will try and do this by the book.  I will put the data & cooks in here!

• #2 by Bentley on 25 May 2021
  • It took about 5 minutes to set up.  I cooked on it, but there is an 8 mph wind and that seems to be effecting the burners.  There are 4 adjustment screws, when setting up, I did not bother to worry how high or low they are.  I now believe that they will need to be at there lowest setting to get the maximum heat with or without wind/breeze.  Let me be the 1st to say that Smash Burgers and just McDonald's burgers when you can only get your griddle to 250°.  Worst case scenario I would have to build a wind break around my table.  But it is wonderful to have lots of space to "smash" patties.  I can say that the Squeeze Inn burger is coming!
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 25 May 2021
  • I saw you had some temp issues, maybe wind. I did this, yes kind of rednecky, but it was a spur of the moment thing and a trip to dollar general. People use the Dollar Tree board/dough scrapers also. They hang the loop part towards the inside and allow the flat blade to hang down to block the wind. I usually take this one when we go to where the cousin is camping.

Some thing else, I know I have the issues at time with my blackstone, the safety in the regulator trips. It trips when the gas flow is to high, fast, or sudden. Usually will not heat up when it trips, need to turn the gas off then I open the burner up for a few seconds, close it and turn the gas back on very slowly. I can sometimes hear the safety reset when I do this.
  • #4 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 May 2021
  • I forgot to talk about Tony Packos when I saw you for lunch. They had several packs today at the butcher shop. Let me know if you want me to ship you a couple packs. They would be nice to split and griddle. 
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 26 May 2021
  • I had a Stainless Steel wind shield made for a 2-burner stove I had built into the ODK at last house.
    Doubled as as splatter shield.

• #6 by Bentley on 26 May 2021
  • I might have to do the modified aluminum steam tray, the galvanized would be easy to make if I could locate the SS or galvanized in Mayberry!

I did not even ask or pay attention to how they cooked them.  I do not think they were split, to me that is a crime to do to any link, dog or sausage!  It would be a natural on a griddle/flat top, have not done any since doing dog at the Fire Station a few years ago.  I usually micro, boil or toaster oven at home!

I forgot to talk about Tony Packos when I saw you for lunch. They had several packs today at the butcher shop. Let me know if you want me to ship you a couple packs. They would be nice to split and griddle. 
  • #7 by Bentley on 26 May 2021
  • I cooked on it with the gas range last night, was not real good.  Trying to devise something to catch the grease was a pain, and I did not like the heat distribution due to how the flat top had to be positioned on the range.  It was some what of a fail, so I did not document it.  The unit cleans easy.  I will try and work on wind block today and see if we can do some cooking on it, really not that much to review as far as assembly.  Most of the review will be cooking!
  • #8 by Bentley on 27 May 2021
  • Been trying to water and keep the landscaping alive for the last 10 day.  Normal rain for May is 4.34 inches, we have had.87.  Have not had a chance to rig up wind shield.  Went out tonight as it was pretty calm, seem like it wont get much more then about high 300°, which is not going to work for me.  I am going to try a few more mods, but if I can't get better performance out of it, I am afraid it is going back!

I wonder how asparagus farmers get uniform asparagus?

• #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 May 2021
  • does it work any better if you used it in the garage
  • #10 by Bentley on 27 May 2021
  • Will have to see!  A friend coming over for Memorial Day smash burgers!
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 May 2021
  • plan b may need to be a griddle on the memphis
  • #12 by Bentley on 27 May 2021
  • Would be to much headache, to much time to get going.  This is one time when gas or electric is King.  I envy the kitchen that are lager enough to have an island that could have a 36 inch flattop on it!
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 May 2021
  • ours is 5'x6' and looked like a ping pong table before we moved in

i really need to get my traeger xl fixed so i can hook up that bbq hack griddle
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 28 May 2021
  • Not sure how far you want to go in trying to remedy your low temp issues. I was planning on buying one of these adjustable regulators for my 17 before I bought the larger unit. I went with this one because it has a gauge so I can find a pressure I like and it be repeatable. It looks like it has the same 3/8 fitting as the RG griddle has on their hose. A little extra pressure would help with the temps, it may reduce burner life somewhat but probably not enough to be concerned about to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXQ1SDB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AEEHSY4PP1735&psc=1
  • #15 by Bentley on 28 May 2021
  • I am not sure that more pressure from the tank would force more into burners?  It is as if they did not adjust the nozzles to emit enough gas.  And I do not want to start sticking money into a cheaper unit, will just send it back and buy better quality. 

I am going to take it around to the garage right now and cook 2 smash burgers.  If it gets hot enough in a wind free zone, I will know that the unit can perform, just not with any breeze.  Then I will have to decide if it is a unit I will use frequently enough with those constraints.
Pages:
Actions