Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pot Roast My Way  (Read 1230 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Pot Roast My Way
« on: May 31, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »

Decided to try again. Trying to adhere to the KISS principle. 4.9 lb choice Pot Roast from Costco. Mustard first. This time I seasoned heavily with Canadian Steak Seasoning which is basically, salt, pepper, garlic and lesser amounts of a few others. All are basically coarse ground. Simple! Next into the 590 at 225* naked. At 3.75 hrs it reached 155.  Into an aluminum 12 x 10 bake pan on top of a sliced onion, and 2 cups of beef broth. Sealed with heavy duty foil, and at 240* until it reached 208 internal and was soft to poke. Took the roast out and wrapped in foil and placed in warmer to rest. Took the juices, leaving onions behind, and separated the fat, then placed the juice back in the pan with quartered baby yellow potatoes, baby carrots, sliced mushrooms, and the onions. This was simmered for two hours at 240*.
While that was going on, I separated the roast from remaining fat and sinew, then pulled the lean meat.  It was easy but not fall apart. I added about a cupful of the juices from the veggie cook to moisten.  Came out perfect. We had a very tasty and simple meal from the proceeds.  I messed up the pulled roast pic but the others tell the tale. Will take the roast to 210 next time but no complaints this time. Sammies tomorrow!  :lick:

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Pot Roast My Way
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »

Looks pretty tasty!  :clap:
Haven't had a pot roast with the veggies in a long time.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »

I love pot roast.  It never gets old.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:49:44 PM »

Nice looking cook
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 04:40:35 PM »

Looks great, I'm going to have to give your method a try. I'm not happy with my sous vide technique, it doesn't render the fat well enough for me. Is there some reason that you shredded it instead of slicing?  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 08:15:18 PM »

Looks great, I'm going to have to give your method a try. I'm not happy with my sous vide technique, it doesn't render the fat well enough for me. Is there some reason that you shredded it instead of slicing?  :lick:
Yes! Tends to be dry, whereas when pulled I add the "soup" from the veggies (drippings from roast, and beef broth that has simmered for 2 hrs while the roast rested. Just enough to make the shredded meat juicy and a little drippy.  The pics above are actually from last night. I made the sammies today with sesame buns, toasted, meat heated, and added cheese, and tomato slice, with mayo. Better than the meal last PM IMO.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »

Yes! Tends to be dry, whereas when pulled I add the "soup" from the veggies (drippings from roast, and beef broth that has simmered for 2 hrs while the roast rested. Just enough to make the shredded meat juicy and a little drippy. 

Makes sense, I use that method for pulled pork but have never tried it with beef.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up