Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Th3Batman86 on 31 May 2021
  • Hello all, I seek your knowledge. I have a friend who has an old traeger. Circa 2011ish I’d say. I want to help him upgrade it without having to buy a new grill. If you google traeger controllers there are tons. Would just upgrading him to the Ortech on Amazon be the best bet? What about a new igniter. His is working but if we are going to take it apart is it worth putting in a new one? Ceramic? I also see a kit from Smoke Daddy to update the drip pan, deflector, and burn pot. Wild this be worth it? Is there an amount where it makes more sense to buy a new grill. Keep in mind he doesn’t use it that much but asked me about “fixing it up”. Here is a photo of the controller he has.

• #2 by slaga on 01 Jun 2021
  • I am of the opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If everything else, igniter included, is working fine, don't replace until you need to. The only thing I would swap out is the controller and I would use the Savannah Stoker over the Ortech, although the Ortech is a good upgrade over the the stock 3-speed controller. That is where you will get the most bang for your buck.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 01 Jun 2021
  •  There is a lot that can be done to revive the old guy. The main upgrade would be the controller. Bang for the buck would be an Ortech controller. However, this will still be an old grill. A more expensive

controller would improve heat control to a point.  In the end, it remains an old grill lacking many of the modern gadgetry.

What about the reliability of the rest of the pit ?? Auger motor, metal parts - body, heat shield, cooking grate. Dents, rust, warpage and paint. Wood handle.

Decision time is on the horizon.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jun 2021
  • I have a Traeger controller from my XL model somewhere in my garage.  It may be a less costly alternative.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 01 Jun 2021

•  Another thing to check is the auger tube where it enters the fire pot. My 5 year old L'il Tex suffered a case of auger housing erosion/burnout where it enters the firepot. It had receded ~ 1/4" back behind the

firepot. To make a bad thing worse, this is part of a $$$ assembly. For some reason Traeger didn't want to sell me a replacement. A legal issue where they could be held liable if I were to use the part to fab

my own pit.

Just thinking, again.
  • #6 by Th3Batman86 on 01 Jun 2021
  • Thank you all for the input. Sounds like I need to spend a day taking it apart and giving the rest of it a look over to see if it is worth a rebuild. It has been moved several times to different states and climates. I know it has some peeling paint/powder coat but I don't know what the rust or erosion situation is.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 01 Jun 2021
  • From reading and seeing some of them the originals are built pretty well. Granted component failure can happen on any of them old or new. Possibly a good investment to upgrade or renew a solid foundation would be the Pellet Pro kit. It gives controller, igniter, burn pot, fan, auger motor, RTD and a mea probe I believe. last time I looked it was around 250. Check out the Pellet Pro/Smoke Daddy website.
  • #8 by ylr on 01 Jun 2021
  • I'd say $200 max to fix it up; any more, and the step up to a new grill is too small to justify.
  • #9 by Th3Batman86 on 01 Jun 2021
  • I'd say $200 max to fix it up; any more, and the step up to a new grill is too small to justify.

This is solid advice. Once I get a good look at the shape of the sheet metal I will have a better idea of whats what. I think with how little he uses it that he would be fine with the Ortech controller.
  • #10 by TravlinMan on 01 Jun 2021
  • Just to throw another wrench in the works, if I remember correctly, the old 3 speed controller has no rtd/temp probe.  An updated controller needs the rdt to function. Does this unit have an electric igniter? Condition? 

Unless this is a sentimental restoration, There is a certain time to ask yourself if the time and expense are justified in this project.
Pages:
Actions