Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by okie smokie on 08 Apr 2022
  • I think that pellets that are long stored are subject to drying out (sacks are perforated as I recall) producing more dust and less performance-so I would not be a pallet load customer unless I used a high volume or had several friends to split it with. Am I misinformed? I recently had a sack of LJ apple that was loaded with dust, and crumbling pellets that I think fit the above description.?
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Apr 2022
  • I have cookingpellets in my garage that came packed one 40# bag per box that I have had stacked on pallets to keep them off of the ground for probably 5 years.  I have no issues using them.  I actually think that if they did dry a little bit they may produce more smoke by having less moisture to deal with during the burn process.
  • #18 by 02ebz06 on 08 Apr 2022
  • I think that pellets that are long stored are subject to drying out (sacks are perforated as I recall) producing more dust and less performance-so I would not be a pallet load customer unless I used a high volume or had several friends to split it with. Am I misinformed? I recently had a sack of LJ apple that was loaded with dust, and crumbling pellets that I think fit the above description.?

My guess is weight and mishandling cause the dust.
    Stacking puts a lot of weight on the bottom bag.
    Dust doesn't bother me, it burns up.  Not as efficient, but it burns.
  • #19 by BigDave83 on 08 Apr 2022
  • I agree with the handling and stacking. not so bad when it I got full skids and offloaded in tact for the pellet heater, but the last few years I have been getting from a different place they bring them and stack in the garage. Those ones on the bottom 2 -3 layers are more broken up and dustier.

I have pellets for my heater that have been in the garage for a couple years. Got a good deal years ago. I keep them for if I run out. I usually buy 3 ton for winter. Last year I needed opened one of the extra skids, they didn't look or burn any different than normal. They are stored in a some what heated garage. It does get humid here in the summer months for periods.

I have not seen LJ pellets around here, but then I really don't look for them. I have some I got on an order that someone in the area bought a half or full skid a couple years ago.
  • #20 by ylr on 08 Apr 2022
  • Rural King dropped LJ for their store brand, ratings for those have not been kind. No idea who makes RK pellets, they are really short; almost all of them are less than an inch, most are less than 1/2".
  • #21 by BigDave83 on 08 Apr 2022
  • Rural King dropped LJ for their store brand, ratings for those have not been kind. No idea who makes RK pellets, they are really short; almost all of them are less than an inch, most are less than 1/2".

They sound like they would be nice to use. The pellets I use are like that.
  • #22 by reubenray on 09 Apr 2022
  • I got a bag of Smokehouse pellets from Sam's Club to try out a few weeks ago being I was running short on LJ pellets.  I need to check my local Orscheln's to see if they still have LJ pellets.
  • #23 by reubenray on 25 Apr 2022
  • A local farm supply store has the LJ pellets on sale for $6.99/20 lb. bag.  I will be stocking up while I can.
  • #24 by 1MoreFord on 26 Apr 2022
  • A local farm supply store has the LJ pellets on sale for $6.99/20 lb. bag.  I will be stocking up while I can.

Atwoods Ranch and Home does that a time or two a year.  Sometimes Bear Mtn. too.  Always nice to stock up on the cheap.
  • #25 by reubenray on 26 Apr 2022

Atwoods Ranch and Home does that a time or two a year.  Sometimes Bear Mtn. too.  Always nice to stock up on the cheap.

This was at Atwoods - I reread the ad and it says "manufacturers may vary".  The last time (last year) I checked at Atwoods they had both LJ and Bear Mtn.  Either one would be OK with me.
  • #26 by 4given on 27 Apr 2022
  • I got a bag of Smokehouse pellets from Sam's Club to try out a few weeks ago being I was running short on LJ pellets.  I need to check my local Orscheln's to see if they still have LJ pellets.

I have used smokehouse pellets and they work fine. They are an alder based pellet.
Pages:
Actions