Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salt, Pepper, Garlic (SPG)  (Read 3707 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Salt, Pepper, Garlic (SPG)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »

I use both granulated and powder. powder to granulated is like comparing Kosher to table salt when measuring volume. Most things end up getting granulated garlic and onion. Powder is used a lot of times if i am looking for a smoother end product like a garlic butter or a rub I don't want to see a lot of or have the texture from the larger grind of the granulated.

for salt I go to the little Mennonite store up the rod from me and get sea salt and something called Real Salt, it has different colors, and I mix the 2. I like fresh ground pepper but have not found a pepper mill I really like.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 10:42:51 AM »

So would there be a great deal of difference if one uses Rock or Kosher or Table or Himalayan or Sea... Tellicherry or Black corn...?

No difference if you quantify the ingredients by weight.  (I wish that all recipes did.)

A tablespoon of kosher salt doesn't weigh the same as a tablespoon of table salt.

I made gram-weight charts for most of the stuff I use; salt, sugar, flour, yeast, honey...
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 01:25:45 PM »

There is no right or wrong in all of this.  The bottom line is what it does for you. These suggestions are guidelines only.  If not sure select a

recipe, establish the taste, then experiment with the ingredients and ratios. Kosher vs table salt. Granulated vs powdered garlic. As for pepper,

there are several, black being the most potent.

The reason I settled on a 1:1:1 ratio was mainly due to what I had tried was too salty tasting for me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up